ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Coaching Counts

The quality of Stanford's coaching is significant.

Haas is similar to Shaw in one way: he apparently cannot coach offence. Tara definitely can coach. Watching yesterday both the women and men was night and day. As another poster noted, only one MBB player stood out -- because someone else had coached that Jones for four years. All Tara's WBB players understood their roles on a team. Even the stellar sophs and frosh. Haas' players often seem to get worse -- see, e.g., Harrison's first game stats -- or often leave. Tara's players always seem to improve or finally understand the team's rhythm. Iriafen and Demetre and Bosgana were good examples in limited minutes.

Stanford's WBB apparently will run, run, run. They will play exceptionally tight defence. Fouling out will matter less because the team is so deep. Compare Jump and Bosgana. Players' physical exhaustion also becomes less a worry when substitutions do not significantly degrade the quality of the players on the floor.

With great rebounding, fast accurate passing in transitions becomes so important. One first year player poses an interesting issue. How can you keep the amazing Lepolo off the floor? Which other player would not want her precise lightning passes? Eleven assists her first real game? Unreal.

As many have noted, Tara's major issue, even more than last year, will be the distribution of minutes.
Reactions: Dwhiteing

Women's Basketball Key Quotes: Hailee Swain

Hey guys, I just caught up with 2025 point guard Hailee Swain and her dad Robert about her commitment to Stanford. Below are key quotes. The rest will be saved for the article.

On why she chose Stanford: "Well, Stanford is my dream school and once I went up there and saw the campus and spent a couple days up there, it kinda just felt like home. I loved my coaching staff; I loved how sisterhood and family is valued at Stanford. But it’s also a business. And also how the student athletes at Stanford are, they’re truly students first and I think that me going to Stanford would set me up for basketball opportunities: Pro, overseas, or the WNBA. But it will also set me up for life after the ball stops bouncing."

On what she'll bring to Stanford: "I think I can bring my fast-paced transition game to Stanford’s program. Like for example, getting a rebound and pushing it all the way to the rim or kicking it out to a teammate for a shot or just getting the ball quickly up the floor. I like to play fast."

On her relationship with the coaching staff: "I felt like once they offered, I knew where I wanted to go. Like Stanford, that was my place, that was my home. That’s where I wanted to play my next four years of after high school. So once they offered, like right on spot I was like that’s where I’m going. I love it here. I love the environment, I love the people, and Coach Britney, she had been talking to me for about a year. She talked to me to for about like two times each month. And I could tell that she also cared about not only me as a basketball player, but me as a person."

Robert Swain on what Hailee will bring to Stanford: "I think she’s gonna bring a lot of leadership. I think players just around her, she’s gonna make them better, and I think she is going to be a great extension to the head coach. Whether it’s Tara, whether it’s the next coach in line. She’s gonna be a great extension on the floor. So it’ll kinda give Stanford an advantage because it’s like you have the coach really playing the game. Hailee is that kind of player where she’ll execute what the coaches want and play with unbelievable confidence in making players around her better."

On Haley Jones and her relationship with her: "Yes. So, actually when I went up, I knew about her previously before I went to the camp. But, when I was up there and I was doing the drills, she was encouraging me and it was kinda crazy because I look up to her. Like she’s been one of my role models. And she actually, once I committed, she actually sent me [a message] and said welcome to the family and congratulations and things like that and I can see her being a big sister to me.

seriously?

Nothing about the men's BB game?

I thought at least a couple of big pluses:

holy crap, a gift from the basketball gods - Michael Jones. 31 points on 60% shooting, 5 rebounds and 3 assists with no turnovers; wow

Raynaud: 22points in 21 minutes on 82 % shooting with 9 rebounds. also wow.

I thought Angel, O'Connell and Keefe played well and contributed , while Ingram maybe less than expected.

Whoops Sorry, my bad. Somehow I over looked lots of comments. I must be loaded.

Sunday morning thoughts - Washington State

1. Yesterday was a low point for Stanford football. One of the most mediocre teams in Power Five football - a 4-4 Washington State team that hasn't had a regular season better than 6-6 since 2018 - came into our house and picked the score. Beyond the abject uncompetitiveness (itself not a rare occasion for us, which is a big part of why this is another low point), it was another joyless Saturday on campus that begs the question of why we field a team and pour resources into it if we're not going to give it a chance of being relevant or fun. A few thousand people bothered to show up and by the final whistle there were probably more people at field level than in the rest of the stadium. Many of the most vocal who showed up expressed themselves sartorially with garb that Stanford Hates Fun. That meme, comically and short-sightedly boosted by a school more eager to censor criticism than address the roots of it, went national as the much-watched talking heads on ESPN's College GameDay mocked us for the laughingstock our no fun allowed administration, losing football ways, and mausoleum of a football stadium have rightfully made us. It's hard to say whether this is THE low point for Stanford football. Going a year without a major college football win was low. So was the string of obliterations (173-46!) to end last year. Before Shaw's time, so were multiple moments in Walt Harris' reign of terror, or the 1983 season, or the 1960 season. The point is that Shaw has now strung together a couple of years of low points that rival the lowest moments in program history. If there is still somebody out there who tolerates the idea of David Shaw coaching at Stanford next season (including David Shaw) I don't believe they have the best interests of the players, fans, or university at heart.

2. That being said, those who don't feel sorry for Shaw need to work on their empathy. This tarnishing of the legacy of an accomplished and decent man is brutal. It's painful to watch him process all this and gamely go before cameras and do the public-facing aspects of his job. He plainly doesn't know why he's failed or what he could possibly do to stop failing. In the press conference he talked about how ultimately he's accountable and how that's the easy part but the hard part is knowing how to get the most out of our players. To reach the mountaintop, tumble to the seas, and have no idea how to make it back to shore, much less start climbing again, must be excruciating. I have to imagine it's traumatic and, at a bare minimum, comes with coping mechanisms that border on the delusional. When asked about how the coaches are handling all of this, he offered a meditation on how all you can do is just do the job. On some level I think a coach I've always viewed as excessively deontological has coped with failure by becoming even more relentlessly, all-consumingly dedicated to a philosophy of "the means justify the ends." What else can he do but put together the game plan Sunday night, focus on fundamentals during the week, and appeal to the pride of the team to execute on Saturday? But another phrase for this is going through the motions. And I think that wears on even Shaw. It was startling to me to see him in the press conference forget Ron Gould and Kendall Williamson's names. Seemed like PTSD. Deep down I don't care how philosophical one is, a football coach can't sustain his soul on deontology alone. The mounting toll of the losses and the garbage ways they happen will weigh on anybody. To use another metaphor, after falling from the mountaintop Shaw settled at the base camp and accumulated such piles of garbage that they've gotten so high they block out any view he used to have of the peak. All of this makes me sad for Shaw, no matter how angry I am at what he's made of the program (which is very angry). The one thing that would make me take back this sympathy is if he is secretly colluding with powers-that-be to "demonstrate" that winning football is now impossible at Stanford. That always felt too conspiratorial to me but the more he coaches like this and the more he's allowed to do it the more I'll wonder.

3. Shaw's comments that he never makes excuses and then immediately talking at length about the defensive injuries and fumbles was comical, though I chalk it up to shell shock. My problem with his narrative is the same as every week - take out all the injuries and even the super negative plays like fumbles and we're still bad. Shaw talked again about how the offense plays well when it's not going backwards. Excuse me? The game was 21-0 before any fumbles had happened. Given our offense that means the game was essentially over before ball security reared its ugly head. Our first two drives were three and outs without "going backwards" on either of them. We just failed the good old fashioned way, by sucking, same as the vast majority of weeks the last several years. The fumbles and other errors Shaw talked about made the score even more lopsided but take all of that out and we're still not competitive. Obviously the fumbles don't help though. I chafe at any notion this is bad luck or episodic poor execution or even to some degree players trying to do too much. This has been a horrid flaw of the team since the Colgate game. We've fumbled 20 times this season. Twenty! In comparison, Oregon, Cal, and USC are all in the 4-5 fumble range and Washington is at 7. We are 130th in the nation in both fumbles lost and overall fumbles, with only Central Michigan keeping us from the last spot. This is who we are.

So, what happened?

The debate about DS’ coaching is in full swing. Can we step away from our emotions and do an analytical postmortem on the debacle. For me, it looks like this: I am going simplistic to facilitate the discussion.
Harbaugh turns the program around and leaves For greener pastures.
Bowlsby chooses Shaw to replace him. Odd choice to some as DS had been demoted by Harbaugh and some insiders weren’t sold on the relative strength of the choice since Stanford could have attracted most targets. Bowlsby told me Peterson was on the list but things didn’t pan out. No details shared.
DS takes over and has a great run. Coaching staff seems solid with a combo of College and Pro types. Booties wonder about play calling prowess and game mojo ( my beef).
Things start going sideways with QB management issues and predictability on Offense despite having the most complex play book in America.
Covid and Santa Clara County make a tough job tougher and the gap v other programs grows. Brother’s sickness interferes with Coach’s focus. Transfer portal and defections blind side fan base.
Jack West is crowned QB 1 after a “tough spring and summer competition” to the consternation of fans everywhere. Awful season especially on D culminates with losing RB1 and 2. Fan base calls for major changes in coaching staff. DS does nothing.
Now, this shit show of a season.
WTF happened. Has there ever been a fall from grace so steep.

This sucks for a lot of people in the Arrillaga Center, too

Steve Frost correctly and politely reminded me with a reply to a tweet I posted yesterday that this situation is difficult for a number of people to handle. I made a crack that the PA (I didn't tag him) shouldn't try to hype such a small and downtrodden crowd, and we should instead have the "dignity" to just quietly cross our fingers on third down. A bitter comment from a frustrated fan directed toward someone trying to make the best omelet with what's given to him.

So, I once again put on my Hallmark sheriff badge and don my hat of empathy to post a reminder that as much as we want complete change for the program, this process is very upsetting for many people who work in the Arrillaga Family Sports Center and who aren't responsible for the state of things. Even within the group of responsibles there is a wide spectrum of culpability and therefore I feel more sympathy for some than people who are compensated more than $5 million a year, or whatever it actually is. When the rebuild does occur it will probably mean quite a few people will lose their jobs — probably not Frost but who knows.

Quick "negative" tangent: I feel like some people on Twitter who really hate the negativity about Shaw are numbed by capitalist society to think someone compensated at a rate of more than $5 million a year should be treated like a "regular" working person. I'm going to demand a lot from someone who receives that kind of money and I'm sorry but I am not giving you years to fix a problem you created. Are you nuts? FIVE MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR. Jesus.

Well that was fun

When i saw that Roxy Bernstein and a former Coug were doing the game, I knew we were in for a long day. Roxy brings us bad luck in MBB and football. And it's especially bad luck when he teams with a former opponent.

So much bad during the game, so nowhere to start. But a few things that bug me because they are examples of poor coaching. U;timately it's on the players, but better coaching should eliminate these mistakes.

1. Our punt returners have a bad habit of calling for a fair catch inside our 5 yard line. It happened twice today but has happened often all season long. This late in the season, this should not happen.

2. Our edge players too oftne misread plays and fail to contain. Again, this should be corrected by the coaches by now.

3. I love David Bailey and he will be a total stud. But too often on pass rushes, he runs right into the opposing tackle and tries to over power him - not going to happen. He should be using his speed and beating the tackle by going arund him or doing a spin move and cut inside. I'm surprised that he hasn't been coached up.

These problems would have made little of no difference in the game. It just bothers me that our coaches haven't noticed this and corrected them.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT