ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Recruiting MBB recruiting notes: January-May

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
Alrighty, a little late here, but here is the men's basketball recruiting notes thread for January. The previous thread for November is here. Scroll through that if you missed anything.

Men's basketball recruiting is a bit weird to cover right now since so much hinges on Jerod Haase's future. If he gets relieved of his duties after the season, no guarantee 2023 signee Elijah Crawford stays and then all the guys who they've offered and had on visit, most notably Caleb Wilson are guys who the new staff would have to re-establish relationships with. A coaching change would bring about a lot of changes on the recruiting front and it's really hard to predict what happens from there. Will Kanaan Carlyle stay? Will he leave for the NBA? Same questions can be asked about Andrej Stojakovic. It's all very up-in-the-air as I often like to say.

Now, if for whatever reason Haase survives another season of not making the tournament (again), the staff will likely be looking to add a grad transfer via the portal and quite honestly, either way even if it's a new head coach, Stanford is going to have to find somebody via the grad transfer portal. Or hell, maybe they finally add an undergrad transfer. There's also the possibility of a late springing signing of some kid out of high school. That would likely happen, too.

I do think Haase's lack of success has finally caught up with him on the recruiting trail. At least it looks that way. No major signings this past cycle, which puts all the more pressure on him to get the Cardinal to the tourney this year. Though that of course looks like a long shot. I guess the real question is whether or not this is in fact tourney or bust for him. My belief is it is, but I don't know for certain what is on Muir's mind or how he's evaluating this season. And since we haven't reached the end of the season yet, I don't want to further postulate on the matter until we get to that point.

For now, we just have to see how the season shakes out and expect things on the recruiting side to remain relatively quiet since so few guys are willing to commit to a school without knowing who the head coach will be. And on that note, I think there is some optimism on those grounds that Crawford will stick through a coaching change. When he committed, he had to know this was a possible hot seat year for Haase. Hopefully he's a guy who is more about the academic side and not as worried about the coaching side. Some guys are like that.

P.S. I don't want to give off the impression that the staff isn't recruiting at all or trying to make things happen on that front. They are. But they're just having a tough time for the reasons I laid out above.

Reactions: Bobbk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News