ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Visit Reactions and Recruiting Notes

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
This is the start of a new recruiting notes thread and also where I will put reactions to the visits from visitors during the past two weekends. I'll also highlight an individual's comments in separate posts once they've answered all the questions I've sent.

First, I'll say that after three weeks of hosting official and unofficial visitors that I think the recruiting staff did excellent work. The coaches, professors, support staff, and current players all did a job that, by all accounts, earned an overall A+ grade. Fans on the forum have known for a while that when Stanford hosts official visits it's a very impressive experience. In this conversation let's not focus on when on the calendar those visits occurred in previous years. I expect those visits to start paying off, beginning Monday.

Kenji Swanson, Offensive Tackle
"The Stanford visit was amazing. I was happy to finally meet the coaches who have been recruiting me for over a year now in person. The coaching staff consists of all great people. I was also able to connect with some of the football players on the team. They were all very welcoming and all great people. After talking to them, it felt like I’ve known them for years. It was great to learn more about everything Stanford has to offer academically and athletically. Their program is set up to allow athletes not only be great on the field but execute in the classroom as well and have all the materials to become successful in life.

"The trip was three days and 2 nights. On the one of the days, the recruits had the opportunity to have a sit down breakfast in the stadium with professors. I spoke to multiple professors who all taught different subjects and all of my conversations were very fascinating. It’s no wonder why your can find some of the best students at Stanford, because of how much the Stanford professors bring to the table. With Coach Heffernan, we were able to connect all weekend. Other than talking all weekend, getting tours from him, and just learning from him, I was able to sit down on the film room and learn from him. He showed me film and explained how Stanford ran their offense. Stanford’s Oline is a crucial part of the success of the team. While in that film room, I saw why Coach Heffernan is one of the best in the business.

"Stanford only recruits and certain type of person, those who have high talent but are also academically successful, humble and mature. There is such a high standard for Stanford athletes and everyone I met and got to talked to portrayed all of those values. Heffernan is a great coach with lots of experience at a high level. He’s able to take all of that NFL experience and translate it to the Stanford OLine. He is a great addition to the coaching staff who will elevate the offense. After talking to the players, they all love Heffernan. They tell me on the field he will push you as hard as he can to make you the best you can be and also make sure you’re learning more than anything. Off the field, he’s a very personable guy who likes to joke around with the players and connect with them. I think it’s important or coaches to be able to connect to players and he’s definitely that type of coach."

Benjamin Hudson, Inside Linebacker
"The visit was fantastic, coach! Favorite parts: meeting coaches in person, or meeting Dr. Rice, being on the actual campus, not on Zoom; meeting and spending time with the players and learning about the excellent academics at Stanford. I had a position meeting with Coach E to go over technique, a little film, and rules of the linebacker room. Had a good time hanging out with Coach E and meeting his family. Being there definitely made our connection stronger. I also got to meet and connect with CJ Williams, Zach Rowell, and Joe Strickland."

Zach Rowell, Defensive End
"Everyone had an unreal time. There's a great culture and great coaching staff. To be honest, the main highlights were dinner with Coach Shaw (and the other recruits), hanging out with the current players, and meeting all the staff in person and really building a great relationship."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News