ADVERTISEMENT

Pro Day notes

Andy Drukarev

Apr 2, 2011
14 Stanford players participated in Stanford's annual Pro Day: Devon Cajuste, Josh Garnett, Kevin Hogan, Austin Hooper, Blake Martinez, offensive tackle Kyle Murphy, Kevin Anderson, Ronnie Harris, Ra’Chard Pippens, Rollins Stallworth, Remound Wright, Kodi Whitfield, Brennan Scarlett and Aziz Shittu.

I'll have some video interviews posted in the next few days, but a few notes:

-Hogan, Murphy and Garnett opted to stand on their combine times and didn't do any of the athletic testing. Blake Martinez didn't run the 40 but did do some of the agility work.

-Kodi Whitfield took reps at both defensive back and wide receiver.

-Ra'Chard Pippens suffered some sort of lower body injury early in the workout.

-There were a ton of familiar faces in attendance including former Stanford coaches/staffers Vic Fangio, Jason Tarver, Pep Hamilton, Ron Lynn, Jon Haskins and Nick Holz as well as a number of former players: Tyler Gaffney, Cam Fleming, A.J. Tarpley, James Vaughters, Ikenna Nwafor, Drew Madhu, Joe Hemschoot., Bob Whitfield, Toi Cook and probably a few others I didn't spot. Many current players were also on hand to support their teammates. Also spotted Geep Chryst and Earl Hansen (former Paly coach, ILB coach Peter Hansen's father). Chip Kelly was among the numerous NFL coaches at the workout.

-A noticeably slimmer Graham Shuler snapped for Kevin Hogan during Hogan's workout. I didn't really see much of the non-quarterback position drills.

-We should be getting testing times from Stanford later today, but here are one set of hand-timed 40's (via fborg). These should not be taken as gospel, but could perhaps provide a general sense. I'll post what we get from Stanford as soon as we get it. And keep in mind that all of the scouts have their own clocks and their own times.

Kevin Anderson: 4.76/4.85
Devon Cajuste: 4.56/4.56 (word is that scouts had him in the 4.42 - 4.48 range; ESPN3 broadcast apparently 4.48)
Ronnie Harris: 4.75
Austin Hooper: 4.69/4.75
Ra'Chard Pippens: 4.57
Brennan Scarlett: 4.78/4.81
Aziz Shittu: 5.41/5.40
Rollins Stallworth: 4.72/4.65
Kodi Whitfield 4.82/4.79
Remound Wright: 4.78/4.87

-I don't have most of the three-cone/shuttle times, but Kevin Anderson's three-cone was apparently excellent and generated some buzz from folks in the crowd.

-Kevin Hogan threw I believe 61 or 62 passes. He completed all but maybe four and was generally accurate, though a few did sail on him. He doesn't throw the prettiest football and doesn't have the strongest arm, but we knew that coming in. I'd imagine his performance today probably reinforced what scouts/NFL teams thought prior to the workout. Hogan's delivery was a bit cleaner/tighter than in the past, but this was more or less what I expected/what we've seen out of Hogan in the past - he does a lot of things really well, but there are some physical limitations.

-Interestingly, Devon Cajuste said that he's receiving the most attention from NFL teams as a flex tight end. Will be fascinating to see where he ends up on draft day.

-Aziz Shittu said that he actually did not petition the NCAA for an extra year and expressed surprise/confusion at that report. So either the report was erroneous or Stanford submitted it on his behalf just in the off chance it would be accepted. (In which case they would present him with the option and he'd go from there?)

-Here's a link to the ESPN3 broadcast with Todd Husak and Tank Williams if you missed it: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2785984/size/condensed/#

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News