ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Men's basketball recruiting notes

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Krysten Peek of Rivals.com spoke with Stanford guard target Matt Coleman of Oak Hill Academy. Coleman and Daejon Davis each visited two weeks ago and with only a couple weeks until LOI day it's safe to say that both are viable academic targets. But the competition for both is so tough that it's difficult to imagine Stanford landing either. Both are instant impact point guards with top offers.

Here is Coleman:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/matt-coleman-talks-texas-duke-stanford-and-more

"They have a pretty good team. They are lacking a point guard. I played pick-up with them and I see where I fit in. The campus is beautiful. It's big. So many connections with the business people. It really opened my eyes. Beyond basketball you need something to further your lifestyle."

I had a brief conversation with Davis and I'm still hoping to touch on a few things with him. He visited Gonzaga this weekend and was understandably impressed by the established success of Mark Few. They have a history of player performance and development in their system that doesn't require much projection by an individual recruit to understand how he might best fit with the Zags.

When he visited Stanford, Davis said the Cardinal staff gave a better life-after-basketball pitch than any other school. He's been in contact with Jerod Haase and Adam Cohen since early spring and the visit introduced him to the whole staff and team.

Obviously there's no on-court product that Haase and the coaches can reference other than where they've coached before. It seems Haase's background as a player, assistant and head coach of UAB was heavily emphasized.

"Coach Haase is a proven coach. Everywhere he’s been there’s been success. With his leadership skills that he’s shown throughout his career, they will be successful."

The staff also said there's a good chance Davis would play a lot his freshman year and they want him to help guide Stanford back to its winning tradition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News