ADVERTISEMENT

Football April 6 practice notes

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Stanford held its first open practice of the second session Saturday and there was only one live team period held at the end of practice. Here is what I found noteworthy:

-- No. 1 for me was Andres Fox spent all practice at OLB. I like that move a lot and I think right now it's the better position for him. He has a long way to go physically to be a 3-4 defensive end and can help the team better from a standing position. I also wonder if this makes it almost a certainty that Josh Pakola begins his career as a defensive lineman.

-- Jordan Fox is out the rest of the spring. He has a boot on his left foot and was using a knee scooter to help get around. Shaw said they expect him back by the summer. That was discouraging to see because Fox was performing well this spring and will be counted on this season. And also Stanford is well past the point that it's exasperating to see another player out for an extended period of time. A. Fox's move to OLB is reportedly not connected to this injury. There is plenty of competition at OLB and then you add Stephen Herron and Aeneas DiCosmo to the mix.

-- Michael Wilson was not practicing but Simi Fehoko and Donald Stewart were back. I honestly can't remember the last time I got to see Stewart practice. I was happy for him. Connor Wedington looks great making plays on the field without the brace. He was the toughest to corral in punt return drills where it's the returner versus multiple defenders.

-- Mike Williams is back. Ryan Johnson and Bo Peek were the only defensive linemen who were not practicing. Jovan Swann had a massive club on his left hand that made it tough for him in one-on-one. He was often matched up with Dylan Powell.

-- Drew Dalman vs. Dalyn Wade-Perry went about as you'd expect more often than not. There's an almost comical size difference. It is fun to watch how nimble DWP can be. There was a drill that Lance Anderson conducted where a teammate batted a "fumble" back toward the middle of the field before it bounced out of bounds. Then a trailing teammate jumped on it. Most of the DL were not graceful getting down to swipe the ball. On one rep DWP ran over and casually flipped it back between his legs.

-- Colby Parkinson vs. a LB downfield should never go well for the linebacker. He should be a major factor in the passing game this season. It's important that he creates mismatches and isn't just catching jump balls.

-- The one-on-one pass pro reps were interesting. No one could beat Trevor Speights. Tucker Fisk blocks like an OL. I expect better from Jay Symonds but he's still in his freshman year and I won't advocate for a fullback to be on the field often.

-- Speights also had the best runs during the team session. I think it's difficult to judge a team period at the end of a two-hour practice when the only five available linemen have done a lot of work. Also, Cameron Scarlett isn't practicing and incoming freshman Austin Jones could only watch from the sidelines.

-- The defense got the better of the team session. On the first play Ricky Miezan and Jacob Mangum-Farrar blew up the middle and celebrated together afterward. Stanford fans can hope that freshmen duo has many more moments like that. Mangum-Farrar made several good plays in team and individual drills.

-- There were only five DBs dressed for full contact: Antoine, Paulson Adebo, Donjae Logan, Ethan Bonner and JJ Parson. Adebo defended a fade to Fehoko well. Parson had a "sack" on a blitz. Malik Antoine intercepted Jack West in 7-on-7.

-- The best touchdown was Davis Mills to Harry Schwartz in the left corner on a nicely thrown ball. Costello and Mills were the only ones who could move the offense, which isn't surprising. The offense was by no means ever dynamic, but they're missing too many guys.

Recruit observations:

-- Goodness, Zach Frazier is a solid looking young man. He walks with easy military-grade posture, shows next to no flabbiness and is not small. Right now he looks similar to Swann. Fellow defensive lineman Dane Middlebrook was the most social. He was chatting with Lance Keneley, Frazier and the other guys in that position group.

-- Sophomores Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster are huge linemen. It was incredible to note that they're 2021 recruits.

-- When Wesley Steiner made it to practice he spent a good amount of time standing right next to Lance Anderson, watching drills and talking. It reminded me of how Herron was during a visit; and also that I think Anderson is an enjoyable and eager teacher.

-- EJ Smith was there with his dad. It was a bit odd to see Emmett sitting in a golf cart being whisked away to continue the recruiting visit. I wonder what his take is on the experience. The fact that EJ and Austin Jones were on campus at the same time is an exciting sight for Cardinal fans.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News