ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting 2020 RB Chris Tyree Thread (post visit comments)

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Chris Tyree (Thomas Dale, Chester, Virginia) is No. 55 in the Rivals rating of 2020 prospects and is top 25 on another site. He's a "whale" running back recruit who for several months now has described Stanford as one of the schools recruiting him the hardest. Stanford running back coach Ron Gould kept telling Tyree that if he visited Stanford he'd love what he saw.

Tyree made the trip out to California for the USC game and enjoyed his time on The Farm. He has messaged me some comments throughout the week.

"The highlights for me was getting to see how beautiful the campus was, meeting Coach Shaw, and spending time with the staff here. I did not spend the night on campus but got a chance to come back on Sunday to spend more time with the coaches and learn more about Stanford. As far as my comfort level being so far away from home, once I was actually on campus it did not feel like it was all the way on the West Coast. I would not have a problem going to school that far from home. I think I would be comfortable with it.

"I was very interested in Stanford before the trip and I think the visit definitely confirmed my interest. I think what surprised me the most is how big the campus really is. There is actually a hospital and a mall on campus.

"On Sunday, I was able to sit down and talk about admissions process, and I took a tour of campus and the football facilities. Coach Shaw is really down to earth and was easy to talk to. I actually talk to Coach Gould all the time but it was really nice to get to sit with him and watch film and talk about the offense a little. I can tell he really cares about the development of his players.

"I was relieved to find out that I am on a great path to meet the admissions criteria. I think this was the first time a school ever talked to me about what is required academically in order to be admitted. As of right now, I am not 100% sure what I would like to pursue as a degree."

My take is that this visit gives Stanford a chance to stay in the mix for one of the best offensive talents in the 2020 class until he can come out for a junior day in the spring. Tyree doesn't appear in a hurry to make a decision, is a good student (3.9 GPA) and the Cardinal have clearly made him a priority.

Virginia Tech has all hands on deck to try to keep him in state. Florida State was his childhood dream school and, even though his tenure is off to a very rough start, Willie Taggart can recruit. Oklahoma, Michigan and Penn State are the other top contenders right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News