ADVERTISEMENT

2019 may be the year we've all been waiting for

CardGamer

All-American
Apr 14, 2015
I don't think the 2018 season is over, nor do I think it's destined to turn out poorly. As many others have opined, the team still has a great chance to make a NY6 bowl game. I just want to take a look at the silver lining from two straight weeks of worrisome performances (one of which turned out unexpectedly well).

First, one of the biggest losses the team will suffer in the offseason -- Bryce Love -- is not necessarily going to cost the team wins. Love has been an incredible play maker, he's also somewhat one-dimensional. The back who takes Love's place may be someone who can catch out of the backfield better. I continue to think that Wedington will be the guy, and we know that he has the receiving skills to add a dimension that Stanford's offense appears to need badly. I know that Wedington showed value as a WR too, but OSB has been strong in his absence and Wilson seems dynamic as well.

Second, the losses on the OL are starting to worry me a little less as well. I was one of the later fans to get on the AT Hall train, and I think my caution may have been warranted. I suspect that Hamilton or Sarell will end up being an upgrade next year. Also, although I think Burkett is a really good center, I'm less worried about the drop off considering Dalman's solid play during Brukett's injury.

Third, although Okereke has made some really huge plays, I'm starting to think he's sort of like the Harrison Phillips of this year--A guy who has considerable talents, but doesn't really have the size to play the position that he's stuck playing. I actually wonder whether Meizan will end up being just as valuable as Okereke because, at his size, he's so much better-suited to the Mike LB position.

Fourth, the losses at DB don't seem as significant as they once did. Edwards is okay in his spot, but Antoine seems like a fine replacement. Murphy's repeat selection as a captain made me think that he might have made significant progress, but he seems about the same CB he's always been, which is not an irreplaceable piece. The one significant loss is Holder, and I have some optimism that Akina will be able to coach up a replacement from Eboh, Butler, Williamson, or Bonner. Akina has been unusually complimentary to some of the guys waiting in the wings.

Last but not least, the poor performances may mean that fewer players are in position to leave early for the NFL. I still think JJAW, Smith, and Herbig are going to leave, but maybe Shaw will get lucky and one of them will stay.

Reactions: StanMBAfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News