ADVERTISEMENT

Where things stand with top five uncommitted TEs in 2023 class

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
Adam Gorney has that here. The two tight ends he mentions are Walker Lyons and Jaxon Howard.

Walker Lyons I feel Stanford is in a good spot with, though I do think he's still exploring all of his options. I think Ohio State left a great impression on him. And if he gets out to Alabama, maybe they'll rock his world as well.

I still think Stanford and BYU are the two front runners. Just because he comes from a BYU legacy family and being LDS, that's a huge huge pull. BYU can suck away guys from programs like Ohio State and Alabama because it's so unique and offers a religious experience that those schools cannot offer.

Stanford I feel is the one school out there who consistently has the best chance to pry guys away from BYU. Just because the academics are so elite. It's also West Coast, close to home for a lot of LDS athletes, and Stanford has a strong LDS community as well. Both on the team and just in general. So, that's how I'm feeling about that one right now. I've said this before, so nothing has really changed there.

As for Jaxon Howard, I'm just not feeling it right now. A lot of it has to do with the fact that he and his dad have't been responsive to me up to this point. It really does seem like he's looking to go to a more traditional power house named program. Like an LSU, Alabama, or Ohio State. Ironically, I think the biggest pull away from those schools is likely his hometown team Minnesota Gophers and not Stanford. I could see him deciding at the end of the day he wants to represent the U of M.

That all said, Howard hasn't made a decision yet, the staff is still trying with him, and maybe the longer this gets stretched out and the more schools he sees, the more he'll give Stanford serious consideration since they are unique from other schools across the country. So, I'm not totally shutting the door on a possibility of him coming to Stanford. Maybe he'll warm up to them more down the stretch of his recruitment and buy into the 40-year decision thing, but at the moment, he still seems to be more bent on going to a more traditional powerhouse program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News