ADVERTISEMENT

Football UCLA Press Conference: David Shaw Part I

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
(It looks like some of the audio cut out from the transcript at the start. I'll add on as soon as I can.)

COACH SHAW: Kind of expect three young guys playing up front and a young quarterback starting his first game, but that's not an excuse. We knew it was going to happen. Some things we did well. Some things we didn't.

Pass protection, there were times we thought we had enough time to get it off and didn't get it off. Sometimes we didn't have enough time to get it off. We missed some throws and we got some balls deflected. Couple guys got their hands on some balls and got opportunities to make highlight catches. We didn't make those catches.

So when you play against a good team and you have opportunities, no matter how difficult they are, you have to take advantage of them. We didn't today.

Their quarterback, DTR, I guess they call him X factor, quick, athletic, explosive. You give Chip Kelly a guy like that and we've seen that movie before. There are times we had him hemmed in and he got out. Some times where we had everybody covered and he's the guy that can take off and make plays with his legs. And those are drive extenders and those are big-time plays. Guy made those plays. And we have to be able to contain guys like that.

Heck of a play from a good running back also. Multiple good plays by him. We've got to get him on the ground. Had a chance to tackle him, didn't tackle him.

But all in all, for me, defensively, we played well enough to keep us in the game, played well enough to keep us in the game. We've got to make more plays on the offensive side. Had some opportunities just didn't make them.

I will say this, too, losing Jet Toner early in the game was really difficult. It's not often that you see a kicker get hit on a kickoff. So I need to see that film and see how that happened.

But Ryan Sanborn came in and was outstanding, kickoffs and punts, he handled both extremely well. Kudos to a young freshman for stepping up and making some big plays for us.

Q. Is there any moment in your coaching career that you kind of compare the decimation of the offensive line right now to to be able to draw some perspective and strength to get through this?
COACH SHAW: Decimation might be a little bit of a strong word, Stanford guy. But we haven't had this many injuries. There were a significant number last year and more this year.

The difference this year is these guys are -- we have so many guys out for the season. Last year it was kind of a different guys out at different times and coming back at different times.

We've got five guys out for the year. We're hoping on Devery, hoping that Devery doesn't make it six. Hopefully Devery can come back at some point before the end of the year.

But once again, we have to find out what our guys do best. And with the young group, sometimes that's hit and miss. I thought we played extremely well against Washington. Didn't play quite as well this week. Tried to build a plan with what those guys can do up front and what our quarterback can do.

Gotta go back to the drawing back to a certain degree. Have to watch this film and see what positives there are and make sure we're putting our guys in a position to be successful. And with the young group, that takes a little effort on our part, but that's our job. That's what we're supposed to do. We'll try and take care of these guys, get them ready to play next week.

Q. You've said before after games in which the offense struggles, that it's on yourself and coaches to put guys in the best position possible to succeed. On first reflection, do you feel like that occurred tonight? And do you feel like there was anything you wish you could do better in hindsight?
COACH SHAW: Yeah, a lot of things I wish we -- every play that didn't work, I wish we didn't call it. That's the only way I can answer that question. We're going to try to find the best way possible to put our guys in position.

When it doesn't work, we've got to go back and find a combination of game plan, depending on who we're playing, and what our guys can do. Like I said, with a young group, that's hit or miss sometimes. We haven't seen these guys play a lot. This is game one, really, for one of our freshman up front and game six -- five for another one and game seven for another one.

But it's not an excuse. We have to find out what those guys can do well and give them an opportunity. We should have run the ball better than we did tonight. We've got to find out why and make sure that we put those guys in position. Cameron Scarlett is running extremely hard, trying to make plays, trying to break tackles.

Now, ball security's on him. We can't turn the ball over. We've got to be better at ball security, and our guys are trying really hard to make plays. And we've got to try our best to put them in position to do that.

Q. Did you ever consider making a change at quarterback at any point during the game?
COACH SHAW: No.

Q. I guess why not?
COACH SHAW: The answer's no.

Q. And then second part, how confident are you that either K.J. or Davis will be ready for the next game?
COACH SHAW: We'll see. We'll see.

Reactions: msqueri
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News