ADVERTISEMENT

Title IX - the reality

Gerald McGowin

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2015
Fredericksburg, VA
I have looked over the internet and here - from Wikipedia - is the entirety of Title IX :

No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.

Notice it says nothing about athletics. So this whole spiel that "Title IX requires such and such" is horse pocky.

But let's drill down.

Take , for example, the Stanford women's squash team.

This board has the most ardent supporters of Stanford athletics to be found. I don't recall a single post here about the Stanford women's squash team.

How many schools give out scholarships for women's squash??? Give me a guess.

I'm betting your guess is wrong. According to this link, there are 3. https://www.athleticsrecruiting.com/squashscholarships.html

Stanford and those 2 powerhouses Drexel and George Washington.

Who did the Stanford women's squash play last year? Only teams in the eastern time
zone. https://gostanford.com/sports/womens-squash/schedule/2022-23.

What about the men's squash team? Well, it is a club sport. Zero scholarships. Darn sure not flying cross country to play UVA or Colby or Harvard. But, golly, there are Bay Area squash teams that we could play. Apparently the athletic department was unaware of this.

What do we conclude from all this data? There is only one conclusion to be drawn from the facts : Stanford is illegally discriminating against male squash players in violation of Title IX.

I will go light on where this can go further. But just let me say that a female squash player getting any admission preference over my grandson is both ill considered and troubling.

That's particularly true when you think about who the women's squash team recruits are. They are not the current students of the school I went to in the Deep South. They aren't students from the inner city in Oakland or Detroit. They are at least mostly and probably entirely from parents with income in the top 10%.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News