ADVERTISEMENT

the rpo

jonnyss

All Pac-12
Gold Member
Feb 15, 2006
there is a separate thread on the philadelphia trick plays. i liked them, too.

even better, i liked, on the non-trick plays, how hard it was to tell whether the play would be a pass or a run.

the announcers talked at length about philadelphia's "rpo plays," and how successful they were. maybe you all know this term, but i had never heard it before. apparently, the qb can pass or hand off to a running back depending on what he sees in the defense.

A Run-Pass Option (RPO) is a called run play with a pass option. It can be a DE, a LB, or just a specific alignment the QB is looking for. The OL blocks for the run the entire way, and the QB makes a decision pre or post snap (depending on which variation is called) to run/throw.

foles ran this both under center and from the shotgun. not the read option we see so often and occasionally run ourselves because it's not the qb who will run. on this board many have asked for more play action. rpo would seem to take play action one step further. i love it!

stanford already calls 2 (or more) plays in the huddle. can we up this to rpo...please?

another article on the rpo

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News