ADVERTISEMENT

The Math

SLS90

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 28, 2017
Until Stanford is mathematically eliminated from bowl consideration, gotta proceed on the path to 6 wins.
It will be tough. But it starts with Utah.

Utah presents problems for Stanford, particularly this regime, and this Utes team will be no different. They rush for almost 200 yards/game and pass for similar amount (417 total yards/game). Strong running and balanced O is tough to defend. As others have noted, when you're in desperation mode, you can try more desperate things. So I'd try more "balls to the wall" blitzing; sprinkled in with contain rushes, with hands up at the LOS! (I still think that is most underappreciated defensive play in the game - if Stanford gets 5 deflections at LOS, then maybe we can contain the Utes!).

Utah gives up 371 yards/game, and appears more vulnerable to pass than run, but I'm not certain of that. Regardless, I don't think we're averaging 371 yards/game (just checked, we're at 340 ypg). Also regardless, passing has been our strength. We need McKee to play. If he doesn't, is there any hope that we can run against the Utes effectively? In keeping with the "desperation" theme, why not Sanders if McKee is a no-go? I'm less interested in Patu right now than others; however, I certainly wouldn't object to seeing him take some snaps.

The last two Ls have been high on frustration and disappointment, But I don't think anyone in the Pac is a lock to beat Stanford. Not sure what game plan will be to compete against the Utes, but especially if McKee is out, I'd like to see a fair amount of thinking outside the box.

P.S. We'll be there pre-game Friday afternoon/evening, 'gatering with several (but not nearly enough) of our fellow Cardinal Faithful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News