ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Story: Haase and Wulbrun talk offseason work and freshmen

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
I had a chance to speak with head coach Jerod Haase and assistant coach Jeff Wulbrun. I'm sure it comes through in their comments but I want to add that they are very excited about the improvement of the current team and the talent level of the freshmen.

https://stanford.rivals.com/news/stanford-coaches-haase-and-wulbrun-talk-new-faces-returners

Some notes and quotes not in the article.

-- Reid Travis only started shooting with the team late last week. He is recovered from shoulder surgery. If he has a good season they'll encourage him to take a look at the NBA. So, it's not surprising to read reports of Stanford coaches are still evaluating 2018 prospects for a possible spring signing. Speaking of how Haase and Stanford views the evaluation process and the hectic travel demands of July.

Haase: "It’s insane. Every week it has at least been one red-eye (flight). If not a second. I think it’s safe to say (about daily schedule) it’s either traveling, getting into a gym watching games and sleeping. During the periods we’re out there aren’t two hours to do anything else. One challenge is to eat decent meals.

"It’s not that we’re trying to get one set of eyes on kids. We’re trying to really evaluate. If we like a kid we’re trying to get all the coaches’ eyes on him. We’re crisscrossing the country, so if Coach (Jesse) Pruitt likes a kid (then) either that period or the next period I’m going to see him, Coach (Jeff) Wulbrun is going to see him and Coach (Adam) Cohen."

Wulbrun about Cartwright having an offseason of just basketball after the "debilitating injury" that he suffered last year.

"He has a better understanding of what we want from him on the floor. We want him to set his teammates up and make them better. We want him to read defenses and we’re seeing more poise from him in the summer workouts. We’ll see how that translates next season."

A few hours after my interviews with the coaches they put this wiffle ball game together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News