ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Stanford wins first conference title since 2004

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Stanford (44-10, 22-8) beat Washington 6-5 Saturday to win its first conference championship in 14 years. Jack Little struck out the side in the ninth for the win and the All-American caliber closer once again averted disaster for Stanford before even reaching the final inning.

David Esquer said after the game: ""I can't tell you how proud I am of this team and every single one of these players. This team is never out of it. I love coaching these guys, I love watching them play and our coaching staff has done just a great job of preparing them for moments like this.

"This league proved how much quality it has top to bottom," said Esquer. "Heading into the postseason, the key is getting comfortable being uncomfortable, and I have full confidence in this team."

Stanford did not play well overall in the final weekend of the season. And Saturday seemed destined to end the same, especially after a disheartening sequence of bad baseball in the top of the eighth. After Beau Branton singled to lead off, Tim Tawa reminded everyone he won't be leading a bunting clinic soon. Why he was bunting is another conversation, but the result was a pop out. Nico Hoerner laced a single to center and Branton made the type of decision that's a classic sign of trying to reverse the trend of an entire series with one play. He was out trying to reach third and Stanford squandered the inning.

But this team does not give up.

Nico Hoerner beat out an infield single with the bases loaded and two outs to give Stanford the lead. It was a trademark play for the junior whose hustle reflects a non-stop motor and almost manic playing style.

Many expected Matthiessen to be the one known quality out of the bullpen, but an arm injury sidelined him from the mound for much of the season. But in typical fashion for this team, the sophomore developed to fill a critically missing piece of a power bat at the DH spot.

That fit into the theme of the entire season.

Duke Kinamon was injured fielding the last ground ball of the pre-game warmups before the season opener. The last-minute shuffle of the defense and lineup moved Kyle Stowers from the bench to left field.

He hit a solo home run Saturday to get Stanford back within one run after falling behind 4-2. He finished the season hitting .302 with 10 home runs and 42 RBI. It was a day one example of how unexpected heroes would step up all season.

Stanford then lost one of its best hitters, Brandon Wulff, for almost a month and a half and has played the last three series without Maverick Handley, the stalwart catcher who should be one of the favorites to be defensive player of the year. It has been a season of rising to challenges and often tapping underclassmen to take on significant roles.

The one senior hero has been Branton, who hit .400 in Pac-12 play and rescued the Cardinal from an uncertain fate at second base and at the leadoff spot in the lineup. His steadiness and sense of humor was lauded by teammates as a crutch of mental toughness they could lean on whenever necessary.

Stanford got impressive freshmen seasons from Tim Tawa (.308 in Pac-12) and pitchers Jacob Palisch, Brendan Beck and Austin Weiermiller. Christian Robinson made a late surge to get onto the field and give the Cardinal another option in center.

The Cardinal can host all the way to Omaha if they keep winning. Stanford was 30-3 at Sunken Diamond ths season and will put that record to the test June 1 against a to be determined opponent.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News