ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Stanford update on Kezie Okpala's status

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Here is a statement from Stanford freshman Kezie Okpala. Obviously a tough situation for the team to lose such a talented player, but it appears that it's a situation that is in the process of being corrected. Best of luck to Okpala.

"I am proud of what I accomplished both on and off the basketball court as a high school student-athlete, which gave me the opportunity to earn a scholarship offer from Stanford. I have made and continue to make every effort to not only meet but exceed all academic requirements. I do not take what I earned for granted and continue to challenge myself.

"In the fall of my senior year of high school, I was admitted to Stanford under the condition that I maintain certain grades in my courses my senior year. My schedule, which included three advanced placement courses in the spring of my senior year, was demanding and, unfortunately, I dropped below the threshold my spring semester in my advanced placement calculus course. As such, the Stanford Office of Undergraduate Admissions notified me that they would honor the original decision if I agreed to sit out of competition.

"I understand the decision and am grateful for the opportunity to attend Stanford. Since enrolling this summer, I have enjoyed my classes and am in good academic standing. While I will not be on the court helping my team win games, I will continue to hone my academic skills and support my teammates every day.

"Through all of this, I never wavered in my desire to come here. I am loyal to my coaches, teammates and this University. Stanford is a special place and I am thankful for the opportunity to represent this institution. This school has already made an impact on me and my experience here will continue to prepare me to make positive contributions in my life. I believe in our basketball program and the foundation we are building with Coach Haase. Our collective efforts will lead to many celebrations."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News