ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Stanford Camp Notes Part 1

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Stanford's camp got started Tuesday morning and is currently on lunch and film break. There were a few interesting developments in terms of who is here and performances, but I'll start with the topic that I'm sure is at the forefront of the minds of most people here.

I'm not aware of any 2019 quarterback target who is on campus today. The only quarterback from that class who stood out in any way was Jake Farrell of Notre Dame Prep in Arizona. He doesn't have a recruiting profile. I'll keep an eye out for anyone who shows up in the afternoon and there are the camp days later this week as well.

Jay Butterfield is the top ranked 2020 quarterback in attendance. Rivals rated him as the No. 57 overall prospect in the new Top 100 for the 2020 class released today. I didn't see Butterfield throw much this morning and will hopefully get more opportunities this afternoon.

Two other 2020 quarterbacks in attendance are Roman Purcell and Newbury Park's Ben Gulbranosn (no Rivals profile but reports Cal and ASU offers). There is a very interesting 2021 in attendance: Tyler Buchner of The Bishop's School in La Jolla. He already reports a national offer list with USC, Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame and others. He struggled this morning but his freshman Hudl shows he's an impressive athlete.

There will be more one-on-one opportunities this afternoon to watch the quarterbacks.

The top performer of the morning was, in my opinion, easy to pick. Darrell Harding is a big 2019 wide receiver and he put in the type of performance that gets a recruit an offer. He caught almost everything thrown his way and made several tough catches that showed his physicality. Stanford wide receiver coach Bobby Kennedy seemed to like what he saw.

Zach Larrier had a rough morning from what I saw. He had difficulty hanging onto the ball and appeared to tweak his hamstring after about an hour of drills. He was visibly frustrated and Kennedy made sure to spend some time talking to him. He also took at least one rep that I saw at defensive back.

I also thought that Charlie Vincent had a good showing. He's a low three star on 247 with offers from Utah and Utah State. This is his second straight year camping at Stanford.

An interesting wide receiver name to note is Silas Starr. I didn't see enough of him to offer an evaluation, but the 2020 from Central Catholic in Portland is No. 144 on 247 (no Rivals rating) and this is his second straight year camping at Stanford. He reports offers from Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona State and Cal.

So far the 2019 defensive back field hasn't stood out to me, but there are more opportunities this afternoon. Ishmael Burdine is probably the highest rated prospect here. He reports offers from Wisconsin, Vanderbilt, Utah, Arkansas, Nebraska and others.

St. Francis High teammates Maurice Wilmer and Evan Williams are getting a look in the 2019 class. Brock Jones of Clovis is once again at Stanford trying for the football offer he really wants because he wants to play baseball and football at Stanford.

The 2020 group has a couple interesting names, including 2020 offer Brandon Jones. The Rivals four star visited Stanford in May and was very enthusiastic about getting offered while on the visit. He looked good this morning. Two 2020 names to note are Gunner Maldonado (ASU offer) and Micah Harper (Syracuse).

One of the best showings of the morning was by 2020 tight end Lukas Ungar. The Rivals four star made the trip from New Jersey and looked really good. It's potentially a big win for Stanford to get him to come out and he's likely going to stay for the junior day Wednesday.

Wakely Lush of San Clemente High looks the part and had some nice moments. The 2019 prospect doesn't report any offers but has elite academics (4.4 GPA and 31 ACT).

There is a 2019 tight end here who is committed to another school who had some nice moments. He may be someone Stanford can stay in touch with into the fall.

I'll have more to add on after the second session. There will be more of an opportunity to focus on individual wide receivers, defensive backs and the quarterbacks throwing to them.

Of everyone I saw this morning I thought Harding and Ungar did the most to get an offer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News