ADVERTISEMENT

Spring '17 Open Practice #1

fborg81

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2010
Shaw has placed a play clock at the 50 - better late than never, never late is better.

Not sure if covered but I have heard Gutwald retired.

All others were accounted for outside of Alexander.

WR group is doing no favors for QB's and DB's. Four schollie guys (Segina hurt) and Anurag's nephew out there. Jack Richardson has to line up at WR in 7 on 7 and that isn't very productive for anybody. Sometimes I wonder about spring practice with teams now playing 13-14 games and getting post season practice along with it. Injuries, players leaving, coaches decisions to rest guys, etc. makes it thin and counterproductive. Of course there are bennys also.

A lot of gushing over Costello but I don't see any separation between he and Chryst and would be surprised if the latter did not start if cleared.

Stewart is progressing nicely. Tough cover and catches everything. JJ and Irwin look strong and I think we know who they are.

Smith is going to be a good one and play a significant role Game 1. Not sure where/how Scooter fits in.

Scarlett looked as quick as I have seen him. Had good burst today but there seems to be a disconnect right after the handoff with his eyes and feet which makes him too hesitant. Speights is a poor mans version of Love. Small but nice feet/quickness. Maddox is a poor mans version of Seale. Hard to see him in a role.

Was disappointed in Hamilton's body. Thought there would be more development at this point but gains will come and the skill is there. Very possible he was recruited over but it's early. No reps with the 1's not what he/we were hoping for. Hattis has the body development but the skill set isn't quite there to be in the OT competition. I think Powell will be C2 by September but not a threat to Burkett. Yarbrough has added weight as he moves to OG but he needs more time.

I feel like Buncom comes with the same hopes as Wayne Lyons but Murphy keeps playing ahead of him. Butler was hurt - again. Didn't really see much of Pryst and Eboh.

Hard to see Fox playing much at OLB in '17. It will be a tell if he is on teams or not.

All 3 of Swann, Peek and Williams are on the shorter/smaller side. Schaffer needs to make some significant gains in the next few months in S/C to be that 4th DL. Cotton will be OK. Just ran over Fanaika on a pass rush.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News