ADVERTISEMENT

Should Stanford football rekindle their late 19th/early 20th century rivalry with Nevada?

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
Hey guys, I was combing through the 2021 Stanford football yearbook, which I still have from last season and was looking through Stanford’s records versus opponents and one opponent caught my eye as rather interesting: Nevada. Between 1899 and 1931, Stanford played Nevada 19 times and won 16 of those meetings.

On the surface, not much of a rivalry. But considering how the Wolfpack have picked things up as a program and their proximity to The Farm, I think it would be a fun rivalry for Stanford to rekindle. Possibly at least set up a home and home series with them and see if that can spark renewed interest. If such interest gets renewed, they could play for a trophy called the Gold & Silver Cup or something. Gold for California being the Golden State; Silver for Nevada being the Silver State.

Though of course one could argue that maybe it’s better for Cal and Nevada to have such a rivalry since it would be California versus Nevada. Such a cup might make more sense for Cal and Nevada.

There’s also the idea, I’m just spitballing here, of Nevada perhaps entering the mix to steal the Stanford Axe. They could maybe try to steal it from Cal and/or Stanford in some alternating year thing and/or the Axe could just get passed around throughout the year with each school playing each other and just see who has the Axe at the end of the season. Make it kind of a mad free-for-all every year.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on whether or not Stanford fans would be interested in such a rivalry with Nevada. Especially if it came at the beginning of the season as sort of an early season rivalry game to pump up the fans and student body at large. Would the incorporation with Cal and the Axe be good or would that just confuse everybody too much?

Oh, and one more thing…April Fools! I obviously am never going to report any fake news on here. But I think it’s ok for me to throw out a crazy opinion and see what people think. I tried to think of something that was out of left field yet somewhat within the realm of possibility while also not being offensive to anyone. This was all in good fun!

I should warn everybody: Last year, I did an April Fools’ joke on the Cal Rivals message boards saying that Cal hoops should start recruiting kids from Ireland and they have since landed two kids from Ireland. So, maybe a rivalry or at least a future out of conference match up with Nevada is coming soon!

Also, on a serious note, I do find it odd that the two schools haven’t played in football since 1931. You would think some time in the last 25 years at least, Nevada would have visited Stanford at least once. Strange. Maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea for the two schools to get together more often after all!

Reactions: Starbase27
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News