ADVERTISEMENT

RIP GrayHairedCard

arroyo95

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2015
For those who knew him from years ago on this board, and the Bootleg before that, I wanted to post that my dad - GrayHairedCard (John Bowman - Stanford class of ‘63) - passed away last November, after battling dementia for several years.

https://www.independent.com/obits/2023/05/04/john-clarke-bowman/

I got him hooked on the Bootleg back when Stanford was recruiting Teyo Johnson and then Josh Childress. And he was hooked after that. We spent the next several decades agonizing through the Buddy Teevens era (my dad defended him a little too long), argued about what the team should do (embarrassed to say I wanted Norm Chow over Harbaugh). Then we were blessed with the highs of the Skov / Gerhart / Luck era - sat behind Richard Sherman’s family at the What’s Your Deal game at SC. My dad was was courtside when Nick Robinson hit a half court shot to beat Zona at Maples, and we had a very quiet drive home after Stanford lost to Maryland in the Elite 8. But we were together to see Christian M destroy Iowa at the Rose Bowl and one of the last games he was able to follow and enjoy was Stanford’s miraculous upset of Oregon at Autzen in 2018.

He met my mom freshman year at Stanford, she was in Roble and I think he was in Branner. (Branner sucks, by the way). They were together for the next 62 years.

He did not post a lot, but he loved this site; he loved Stanford sports, he loved this community. And living and dying for these teams gave us a lot of great memories. He not only looked forward to the games, but also reading what people here had to say afterwards.

I wanted the folks who knew him to know, since he was not able to say goodbye himself. If you knew him, keep him in your thoughts and maybe say a toast next time you raise a glass.

Best

Jim Bowman (Stanford ‘95)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News