ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Recruiting Notes 5.0

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Stanford's coaches have spent a lot of time on the road this month and they still have plenty of miles left to cover. There was some bad luck last week because snow caused schools to be closed across the South. So, Stanford coaches are circling back to those recruits this week. I'll start with a breakdown of some offensive linemen, because that is the most talked about position group of late.

David Shaw and Lance Anderson are scheduled to visit Buford High Thursday. Miller is coming off a fantastic visit to Ohio State, during which the Buckeyes made a great pitch that included how he can remain involved in church mission work. Ohio State and Georgia are going to be significant challengers in this recruitment and it's absolutely appropriate that Shaw get in now to help make up ground. The Millers are visiting Stanford April 7.

In December Stanford really didn't have a relationship despite the fact Carroll visited Stanford last spring. New offensive line coach Kevin Carberry has been in touch with Carroll and the Minnesotan said they're building a relationship. Stanford has work to do to be on the same level of his top schools. Notre Dame is, in my opinion, the clear front runner and they made him a priority starting last spring. But Carroll has kept the door open for Stanford and they'll have a chance.

Branson Bragg is very excited to visit Stanford in March. Carberry was supposed to visit his high school last week but it also was closed because of bad weather. Bragg and Carberry did talk on the phone and Bragg really liked what he heard. Carberry even gave him homework, which was to watch certain NFL offensive lines using All-22. That is a "coaches film" version of games and Bragg was excited to get pointers of what to watch from someone with NFL experience. Carberry apparently was so specific that he even described favorite individual blocks to watch.

I have reason to be confident that Hudson would be very excited to talk to Carberry. He has a 3.8 GPA and is a powerful run blocker. He was in San Antonio recently for the underclassmen event and did well.

Carpenter has talked with Carberry and he seems very open to the idea of building a relationship with Stanford. He said it's too early to plan a visit but is hopeful it reaches that point.

As noted in the other recruiting thread, it appears Stanford has also checked in on several other offensive linemen and I'll provide updates on them as I get more information.

The race is officially on with WR/RB Kyren Williams. Stanford offered and now so has Notre Dame before he visits South Bend this weekend. In this free 247 article Williams told Tom Loy that both his parents want him to go to Notre Dame. Ron Gould visited Williams' high school last week and Williams told me he doesn't plan to visit Stanford until the summer. I think ND offered at wide receiver, and Williams prefers running back, but I don't think that will be a big obstacle. It may be a good idea to use the new rule allowing official visits in April to entice him to Stanford sooner. I know he's "only" a three star on Rivals, but Williams is very good.

I'll update as I communicate with more with recruits who Stanford has visited. And, as always, feel free to post any Stanford football related recruiting news in this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News