ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Recruiting Notes 24

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Stanford's 2020 recruiting board has reached the point in a cycle where the Cardinal are pretty much going to ride to the finish line with the offers they have in play. Here is an update on several positions and my expectations going forward.

Admitted: John Humphreys, Lukas Ungar, Drake Metcalf, Omari Porter, Marvin Mims, Bryce Farrell, Tobin Phillips, Silas Starr, Joshua Karty, Bailey Parsons. There is one commit who is admitted who wants to announce the news on his own. Uncommitted offensive tackle Andrew Gentry is admitted. There is another offered prospect who is admitted.

Offensive Line: Gentry and Jonah Monheim are the only offered linemen with whom Stanford is still in contention. Monheim's situation has been discussed in the previous recruiting notes thread and it seems right to say this is an odd recruitment from Stanford's perspective. He pursued an offer from Stanford and visited on his own before he had one. Now it seems unlikely he commits to Stanford. He's a good fit, says the right things but isn't working toward being able to sign with Stanford. No source I talk to really feels like they understand why.

Gentry and his family are keeping their thoughts on the recruiting process pretty quiet. Tom Loy put in a crystal ball today for BYU. The opinion of many is that he will be a Cougar.

As of a very recent update Stanford is certain they need to put out more offensive line offers. Carberry is working on making final decisions based on academics/interest/his evaluations. Of course, in August it's not a good idea to offer a recruit with work to do. (Stanford tried with Chris Murray in 2018 with a late July offer, but in my opinion Stanford should erase its plan for 2018 from its collective memory.)

Addison Penn and James Pogorelc appear to be good bets. Several coaches and Mike Eubanks followed Clemson commit Walker Parks (committed since October) but he hasn't followed back any of them. Penn seems like a classic late flip candidate. He comes from a program and school that Stanford is very familiar with, has a great academic profile and is committed to a college far from home with a good academic reputation.

Linebacker: If Stanford signs a linebacker in 2020 it will most likely be flipping Cullen Coleman. Like with most cases like his there won't be movement on that front until he's admitted. There's no telling yet when that might happen.

Stanford is still trying to get Jared Ivey and Phillip Webb to campus but both cases are considered an uphill battle to the point it's almost a forlorn charge.

Defensive Back: Malcolm Greene and his family seem genuinely excited about Stanford and he is being sent an application. But there also hasn't been much development in getting him on campus. Until that happens the talk sounds nice but it's hard to believe Stanford will be a serious contender at the end.

Brandon Jones is working on his test score. He's a great kid and easy to root for, so hopefully that's not the reason he can't attend his top choice.

I feel very confident Stanford is the favorite for Ayden Hector.

If Stanford needs to make more defensive back offers there are a couple good candidates. One is working on the academics while committed to another Pac-12 school and is hoping a spot opens. Probably the top unoffered prospect is Scotty Edwards. Stanford likes him a lot and would be happy to have him in the class if it got to that point.

Defensive line: AJ Beatty isn't talking about his Stanford offer but I know he's a serious candidate for the class. Any major developments with him and Stanford will be kept quiet but I'd be surprised if he doesn't take a visit during the fall.

Tuli Tuipulotu is taking the right courses and his parents liked Stanford a lot when they visited. He's unsure if he'll sign in December or February. I think Stanford needs to get him back on campus to close the gap with some other schools. His brother plays at USC but the Trojans don't seem to be in hot pursuit of him.

It's tough to get a read on Xavier Carlton because of his move to Utah and how long he put his recruiting process on hold. His academic improvement (27 ACT) was a huge help for Stanford and he put in the work to get a better score because of the Cardinal. He's always been enthusiastic about Stanford and visited during the spring. His recruitment is wide open and Stanford will be one of many schools trying to him to visit this fall.

Overview:

Stanford actually has 14 scholarship commitments for the 2020 class (Long snapper Parsons is not listed on Rivals) and Tanner McKee counts as No. 15. I think a reasonable projection is that Stanford adds EJ Smith, Hector, Coleman, Beatty and/or Carlton, and an unoffered offensive lineman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News