ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Recruiting Notes 23

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
I can provide some updates on Stanford's 2020 recruiting board.

QB: The current hope is to get a high quality walk-on to join Tanner McKee as a freshman next June. Carl Richardson is the top target in the hopes he follows the long line of family members to The Farm. In my opinion, the recent Washington State offeree will go elsewhere and not play for "free".

RB: There is uncertainty at this position beyond good reasons for optimism about EJ Smith. Mike Drennen's decision to visit Florida July 26 wasn't the best development for Stanford. I think Stanford will need to make another offer to get two running backs in the class. If Stanford doesn't make another running back offer by the end of July (by which point I expect them to have a recruiting meeting) then take that as a good sign about Drennen.

WR: This position is interesting. My theory that Silas Starr's commitment surprised Stanford was confirmed. I thought it was clear given the timing of the offer to Rome Odunze. Stanford's well established process for making an offer when one spot is left is to wait for someone to be off the board before potentially creating a problem with spaces available. Now I expect there to be four receivers. Welcome to a Big 12 offense! Also, I think Marvin Mims will be the fourth receiver.

All three current commits may soon be locked in as members of the class.

TE: The recruiting is done. Now it's a waiting game to see if Door No. 1 opens for both.

OL: I would erase Chad Lindberg and Geirean Hatchett from the recruiting board. Jonah Monheim is saying the right things but the sincerity of his interest is questionable. That's puzzling given how hard he pursued an offer from Stanford, but it appears more likely now that he goes elsewhere. I know it's widely speculated that he is a silent commit to Oklahoma, whether that's true or not I doubt he ends up at Stanford.

Stanford has three solid, no-need-to-worry commits in the position group. The target is still four or five. One of the reasons for uncertainty on the exact number is that Andrew Gentry is undecided if he'll attend one year of school before he goes on a mission. I think if he's removed from the equation it will be a four-man group. Stanford is still in the mix with Gentry but it's difficult to know what he'll do. There was a recent development with his recruiting process that tends to bode well for Stanford's chances.

Clearly more offers need to go out, though. Bruno Fina is a top candidate because he plans to camp at FNL and that's the most direct route to an offer. Also keep an eye on Solato'a Moeai and Nick Schwitzgebel. ASU commit Ben Bray is on the radar for an offer.

DL: The wild card here is new offer Aaron "AJ" Beatty. Stanford will not know how serious he is about considering the Cardinal until the end of the month when communication reopens. Tuli Tuipulotu is unlikely even though he says good things when he communicates with Stanford. Stanford probably won over his parents more than him. Xavier Carlton's improved academic profile is a big boost to Stanford's chances. Now the main issue is winning over his heart. I gather there is cautious optimism about him and in my opinion someone willing to improve his academics as much as he did (and enroll in AP courses) isn't going to suddenly say, "Never mind".

Tobin Phillips may soon have his name written in ink on the class list.

LB: Stanford is down to one offered linebacker who is not committed to another school and is still a realistic option: Jared Ivey. He is considering a visit to Stanford but is focused on basketball this month. He's actually not certain which sport he'll play in college. An official visit for a game weekend is a possibility but far from certain.

Also, I'll take this opportunity to repeat something I have a strong opinion about: It would be nice if Stanford allowed spring official visits for interested families who may not find it easy to travel across the country.

Cullen Coleman is still on the board but it's always more difficult to flip a recruit than win him over in the first place.

So, who is the next offer? No one, as of right now. There was some momentum to offer Jackson LaDuke, who is really good, but the current plan is to stand pat to the point of even skipping OLB and ILB entirely if they can't flip Coleman.

Stanford's haul at linebacker last year is a major reason for possibly passing on it now that the top choices are mostly gone from the 2020 board. Aeneas DiCosmo, Levani Damuni and Tristan Sinclair are ILBs right now (DiCosmo might still move to OLB) and Joshua Pakola and Stephen Herron are at OLB. Then you add in the developing position versatility of Andres Fox and the feeling at the top for Stanford is that the depth chart is healthy there.

DB: A recent development with Omari Porter has me feeling even better about Stanford's chances. Brandon Jones still has work to do. Ayden Hector is still the most likely third member of the band and his most recent visit was helpful toward that happening.

Nate Ritchie (LDS mission) is still putting in the work to make Stanford possible and is a realistic option.

Chris Thompson Jr. and Ryan Watts (listed on Eubanks' twitter list) should not be considered serious options. Stanford is trying to get Malcolm Greene on campus July 26. I'll let you know as soon as I can whether they're successful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News