ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Recruiting Notes 15.0

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
There isn't a major update to start a new thread, but it's time to leave behind 14.0. Although there is one piece of news recently that struck me as interesting.

Stanford is now open to taking six defensive backs. The Cardinal are in a very good spot in terms of interest level to potentially have a class of six defensive backs. They would be: Salim Turner-Muhammad, Nicolas Toomer, Kyu Kelly, Trent McDuffie, Jonathan McGill and "stealth". The issue is admissions. There are several recruits in this group who will take the SAT today. I wouldn't predict Stanford gets six, but if things break their way then they're happy to take all of them.

Not that this is a shock, but the door is pretty much officially closed on taking a quarterback in 2019. It would take a dramatic event to move the needle on that, such as an injury that affects someone's career. The next battle to be waged is offering another 2020 quarterback to join Tanner McKee.

This was posted in 14.0, but center recruit Drake Nugent told Adam Gorney he's working to improve the English score on his SAT. If admitted he will commit to Stanford. I can't provide an update on Walter Rouse but to my knowledge there isn't reason to worry about that, yet. If admitted I predict Rouse commits, but not immediately like I expect with Nugent. Rouse will probably still go on visits.

Stanford's offensive line commits Branson Bragg, Jake Hornibrook and Barrett Miller are all admitted.

I still expect Aeneas DiCosmo to commit to Stanford over Michigan. Apparently there are issues with the video he was putting together to make his college announcement. He may go public before the Aug. 31 game vs. Grayson, which will be on ESPN and may be worth revisiting over the weekend for Stanford fans.

A recent update on Elijah Higgins and Cornelius Johnson still has Stanford in a good spot for both. Higgins said in a Florida Rivals interview a couple weeks ago that he was done with his application outside of paperwork from his counselor. Apparently the counselor left the school before finishing it and for some reason it had to be resent to the high school. I would still put Higgins and Johnson in a best guess class for Stanford.

There still doesn't seem to be clarity on who the fourth receiver may be but I'll keep poking around about that. One idea of mine is skip the fourth receiver, offer Matt Sykes in 2020 or another top 2020, and try to find a defensive lineman or another inside linebacker for 2019. (P.S. It shouldn't be a surprise that I heard again that Stanford is doing very well with 2020 WR John Humphreys and he loved his July 27 visit.)

The problem with the defensive line board is that at this point it's not looking great to add a new offer. Michigan commit David Ojabo may have been an option but he has apparently moved on from his interest in Stanford. It's more and more likely there won't be a defensive lineman in the class, unless you figure it's Josh Pakola.

Stanford is still talking to a stealth defensive line commit and trying to get him on campus, but so far neither a visit has been planned or an application submitted. A stealth can be responsive but unless there is movement on those two steps it's just nice conversation.

I don't expect new 2019 offers anytime soon and it probably would be bad news if that happened at this point. The board is set and it's pretty much all about test scores and applications.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News