ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Steele - #15 Stanford vs. #20 TCU in 2018 Alamo Bowl

Card Tricks

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 24, 2012
Let me start by saying I'm about as big of a Phil Steele fan as there is. His publication has been one of the most accurate in the business going back to my earliest days as a college football fan. However, I noticed a very egregious error in his latest 2018 edition that I'm surprised neither he nor anyone on his staff was able to identify. His current New Year's Six lineup goes as follows:

CFP - Orange
Alabama_vs._#4 Washington

CFP - Cotton
Clemson_vs._#3 Ohio State

Rose
Wisconsin_vs._#8 Notre Dame

Sugar
Georgia_vs._#9 Oklahoma

Peach
Miami_vs._#11 Michigan

Fiesta
Texas_vs._#14 Boise State

He then has Stanford (next highest remaining Pac-12 representative) slated to face off against TCU (next highest remaining Big 12 representative) in a repeat of last year's Alamo Bowl. WRONG WRONG WRONG. First of all, the Alamo Bowl would never pit the exact same teams that played each other just one year earlier. Maybe one of the two would be considered for a repeat appearance but certainly not both. Secondly, the Alamo Bowl wouldn't even be put in that precarious situation from the get go seeing as how Stanford should have been slotted to play in the Rose Bowl.

Had Phil Steele actually done his homework on this one, he'd discover that the Rose Bowl is obligated to take the highest ranked team from both the Pac-12 and Big Ten in years where it does not operate as a playoff site. That means #6 Wisconsin would be facing off against #15 Stanford in the Granddaddy of Them All. #8 Notre Dame would then play #7 Miami in the Peach Bowl and Michigan would get bumped from the NY6 picture entirely. Here's what Phil Steele's NY6 bracket should have looked like in the first place:

CFP - Cotton
Alabama_vs._#4 Washington
Comments: It's highly unlikely the Playoff committee would pit Bama against Washington all the way out in Miami when Dallas would make for a much more geographically appropriate venue (it's about three times closer to Tuscaloosa as well)

CFP - Orange
Clemson_vs._#3 Ohio State

Rose
Wisconsin_vs._#15 Stanford
Comments: Unless I'm mistaken, the Rose Bowl is obligated to take the best remaining team from both the Pac-12 and Big Ten in years where it does not operate as a playoff site. Even if that's not the rule, I have to imagine it's their strong preference it to maintain that Pac-12/Big Ten matchup that has come to embody the Tournament of Roses.

Sugar
Georgia_vs._#9 Oklahoma

Peach
Miami_vs._#8 Notre Dame
Comments: Not only does this bowl shakeup create a more geographically appropriate matchup, it also provides a much more intriguing opponent for the Irish, who have a long-standing blood feud with the Hurricanes.

Fiesta
Texas_vs._#14 Boise State

Alamo
USC_vs._#20 TCU
Comments: What was a win-win becomes a win-win-win. The Trojans move up a spot to the Alamo Bowl, where they would be making their first-ever appearance. You gotta believe the Alamo Bowl committee would be thrilled.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News