ADVERTISEMENT

OT - the latest campus scandal: Dean/student sexual relationship

amartinsu13

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2016
'11 student wrote an article about a sexual relationship with a 'well-known dean' and 'school celebrity' during her senior year: https://www.autostraddle.com/i-had-an-affair-with-my-college-dean/
Eventually they broke up in 2012 when she told her parents and her parents reached out to Stanford to complain about the inappropriate relationship.

Local paper got confirmation and comment from the suspected dean, Julie Lythcott-Haims, the former Dean of Freshmen and Undergraduate Advising (and current Palo Alto City Council member): https://www.mv-voice.com/stanford/2...ean-who-is-now-palo-alto-city-council-member/

A lot of weird/disturbing aspects to this story:
- Dean Julie was/is married during the relationship, and her husband knew about it and was supportive. Although they actively hid the relationship from anyone else including the university.
- Supposedly Dean Julie left Stanford in 2012 to pursue her MFA, although clearly now she was pushed out/fired (and Stanford covered it up).
- You also might know her name because you may have seen her campaign signs near campus: she was just running in the primary for the local Congress seat.
- After leaving Stanford, Julie wrote a NYT best selling book "How to Raise an Adult" which "cautions parents against micromanaging, or helicopter parenting their children. It argues that this parenting style prevents them from developing independence and resilience as adults and can negatively impact their mental health."

This one hit close to home for me because Dean Julie was my Dean of Freshmen when I was a freshman. She really was a campus celebrity to incoming freshman. Next to President Hennessy, Dean Julie was probably the most prominent staff member students knew about.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News