ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Booker on his Stanford vs Oxford time

WTKatz

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2001
It mentions how much time he had spent on football, but regardless of his added obligations and that he was in an elite Rhodes environment, this excerpt isn't a good look for Stanford vs Oxford:

Booker recalled feeling liberated when he arrived at Oxford. During eight years of highly competitive football, spending up to 80 hours a week on the game at Division I Stanford, “so much of my identity was giving my life to this sport,” he said.

Booker said Oxford gave him the time to “go deep” in his reading as he worked toward a degree in American history. He said he read more books in two years at Oxford than he did in five years at Stanford, where he earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees.

He studied the Federalist Papers and the writings of African American scholars such as W.E.B. Du Bois, James Baldwin and Cornel West. “It was like a gift to have two years to shift into a different gear,” he said. “Oxford had no restraints. It was this place where you could go where your curiosity led you.”

From https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/05/31/cory-booker-orthodox-rabbi-were-like-brothers-now-they-dont-speak (Interesting story)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News