ADVERTISEMENT

Football OSU Week Press Conference: Shaw Quotes and Notes Part I

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Injury Update

Foster Sarell
"should get into practice this week" and "feel pretty good about where he is right now if he can make it through a couple days of practice". KJ Costello will be "questionable this week". Devery Hamilton is "doubtful" and "we'll see where the next 24 to 48 (hours) is with him but it's unlikely he'll be able to play".

Cornerbacks Ethan Bonner and Treyjohn Butler and safety Stuart Head will all practice this week "in some capacity". "We'll see if they're ready to play." Jacob Mangum-Farrar "may be a little bit behind that". It's possible that any of Bonner, Butler or Head could be available next week.

CSR Reaction: The sooner Head is available to get snaps on the field the better for Stanford. I don't think Bonner and Butler practicing will lead to much playing time, but before a leg injury toward the end of camp Head appeared on track for serious playing time. Of course, Mangum-Farrar's return would be a critical development at a position that Curtis Robinson and Andrew Pryts played all but a couple snaps Saturday.

Opening Statement
"As widely reported the entire offseason, we open the season with the toughest four-game stretch in America. We haven't been up to our standards. It was difficult. We've had some injuries but the injuries aren't the reason for our record. We've missed some opportunities.

"I thought this past game that our defense played extremely well. They (Oregon) made a couple plays and we gave them a couple, but I thought we had a winning effort there. I thought the front seven ... (and) secondary) all played well together. They played hard. We played a variety of guys. We had a couple young guys step up with a lot of playing time.

"Jonathan McGill I thought had an outstanding game, as well as Kyu Kelly. Two freshmen coming in and playing at a high level. I expect those guys to continue to play and play well.

"On special teams I thought we held our own. We made a couple nice plays. We stopped a dangerous returner.

"Offensively: Too many penalties, too many negative plays, too many missed opportunities to have a chance to win. That's our charge to make sure we change that, to make sure that we're more consistent. We haven't been this year. We have ability. I love the structure of what we're doing. We've got to do a better job of putting guys in position to make plays. We have to have guys make plays."

What do you credit for the improvement on defense that Stanford won often at the line of scrimmage?
"Honestly I give the credit to our staff for putting the plan together, but the guys played hard, they played physical, they stepped up to the challenge. We harassed the quarterback throughout the day. He's an outstanding quarterback, one of the best in America. We were in his face. Casey Toohill got to him multiple times. Thomas Schaffer got to him. We got the ball out a couple times. Jordan Fox got to him.

"As a unit I thought we played extremely well. We played hard, we played smart. The guy (Justin Herbert) is also a really good athlete and we didn't let him break contain and hurt us with his legs, which he has been able to do the last year plus to a lot of people. I think our guys played really, really well.

"We gave them a couple and they made a couple, which you're going to expect against a good football team. We have to be able to counter."

All offseason you talked about simplifying what you guys are doing on offense and getting good at what you guys are good at. That went into training camp. It seems you're frustrated that execution errors are persisting -- they're not all the same each week, of course -- but I'm wondering if you have an explanation for why those execution errors persist when it was an emphasis all offseason?
"There are multiple factors going on. I don't know the number of penalties this past game on the offensive side, but it's hard to play good football when you have a first and 15, and a second and 25, multiple third and 11-pluses. Those are hard and we're behind the chains a lot.

"As far as what we're doing well. I think we're running the ball well. I think we're blocking well upfront. Cam Scarlett, I thought this past game was outstanding. He broke tackles, got yards after contact. We had so many positive plays and then they were cancelled out by a negative play. We're trying to get back into position where we can get close to getting a first down. That's difficult to overcome.

"The biggest issues we're having I think is the passing game. In particular, teams are going to try to take away Colby Parkinson. He has been outstanding through three games and this game we had two big chances to make a big play. He makes a great catch but out of bounds on our left side. And then a big play down the middle which was about to help spark us and get us on a roll again, but we get a holding penalty which takes that play away.

"I thought we had multiple guys in position to make plays. Credit to the defense for making it difficult on us, but we have to make some plays. We as coaches have to make sure we're continuing to put those guys in position and work on the things we need to work on. It's not just on the players making plays and getting better. It's about us creating a situation to where we know what we're doing (and) we improve. We still have some guys who are playing well and we have some guys who can play better.

"We must connect in the passing game. It's not just the deep balls; it's the underneath passes. Those multiple catch and run opportunities we had earlier in the game we did well. We connected on a third and long to Osiris (St. Brown). (He) split guys, got a first down in the red zone. A couple times later in the game there were nice catch and runs by a couple receivers -- Mike (Wilson) and Connor (Wedington) in particular. We have to be more consistent with getting the ball in those guys' hands, whether it's deep or short and having those guys make gains longer than the pass was thrown.

"There are things we can improve on, things that we will improve on. I trust the mentality of this football team. I think we're all a little frustrated, which I think is a positive because we should be frustrated. We're not going to press. We're not going to scrap a lot of the things we're doing. We put a lot if time into the things that we're doing. We need to tweak some things, but improve on the things we're doing?

Looking back on it, how much did KJ's hand (injury after he hit it against a helmet on the first drive) affect his performance and things you wanted to do in the passing game?
"It's really tough to say. KJ fought through it the whole game. He made some great throws late in the game. A couple of those in-breaking passes with guys in his face were big-time throws. It's hard to say how much what he's battling really affected his play. He stepped up and made some plays, but when it's second and 20 ... those are tough. Third and long they know you're throwing the ball. It becomes a pass rush game. We try to avoid just being in a pure pass rush game. We drop back and throw a whole bunch but I don't know if that's the best thing for our football team. We need to be balanced. We need to use the run game. We need to help the play-action game as well as our drop-back passes. But down two scores and playing against the chains -- second and long, third and long -- those become difficult."

At any point did you even consider throwing Davis Mills in there just to maybe change things up?
"No. Honestly I think there were only two errant throws the entire game, which happens to every quarterback regardless of level and how you're playing as a team. He put the ball on the money a couple times and with guys in his face they were tough throws. It wasn't like he couldn't do the job. He was fighting through it and every time he got onto the sidelines he was throwing the ball ... (and) felt he could grip it. Felt he could throw it well. Outside of two throws I thought he played well. It's just hard to make those plays when you're behind the chains and behind in the scoreboard. We'll see where he is later in the week."

Reactions: msqueri
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News