ADVERTISEMENT

Football Open practice: Shaw quotes, notes

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
A.T Hall was playing left tackle with the first team and Devery Hamilton was with the twos. Shaw on the difference between the two tackles: "We're still so early and we're not even really in the period of evaluation. We are installing our offense every single day and asking a lot of our guys mentally. We're not really in the mode of guys competing for jobs as much as we are working on everyone's skill sets.

Devery has made a huge jump from last year when we ended the season to today -- his knowledge, understanding and comfort level. He has a chance to play. He will compete to get on the field.

CSR Note: With Shaw's comments in mind, the No. 1 offensive line was, from left to right: Hall, Herbig, Burkett, Fanaika and Bright. The No.2 offensive line, from left to right: Hamilton, Wilson, Chaffin, Yarbrough (who worked exclusively with the guards) and Tucker.

Walker Little, Foster Sarell, Drew Dalman and Ticker Fisk attended the practice. Other notable visitors included Zach Ertz, Ed Reynolds and Andrus Peat. And Conrad Ukropina was there as well. Shaw said Kevin Hogan was on campus.

It was noted that when Sarell and Little stood next to Peat they stacked up fairly well. Shaw was asked, does that excite you? "You know, just, yeah," he smiled. "We're excited. Two of the top tackles in America (are going) to step on campus, and not just step in (to playing time), but they're ready to compete. They know they have to earn their stripes here. We're not going to make anything easy. There's no easy path to being good. It's great to see those guys come in. They're so excited to be here. They want to watch the practices and hear the coaching points. To see them next to one of our all-time greats, and they look at him like, 'Oh my gosh.' But Andrus is excited to be back. He's going to spend some time talking to those guys about technique and things he's learned since he's gone to the NFL. That's the community environment we want when you see a bunch of our guys coming back.

What he saw from Costello and Burns: Kind of the same thing, we're putting a lot on them right now installation wise. Ryan is off to a really good start being the veteran fifth-year quarterback understanding what we're doing. KJ has made a big jump. We're not in the room right now where they're competing against each other. We're rotating those two guys. One day one will be with the first group and the next day the other guy. We'll continue to push their progressions. KJ has shown a really good understanding of what's going on and made some nice throws.

Explaining Costello's interceptions: The first one was a catchable ball that was tipped up in the air. The second was a tough read by the defense. They baited him into a tough throw and made a play. Those are things you expect in the spring and are great learning plays.

Defense making plays: I'm excited about where we are in our secondary. Quenton Meeks is back full speed and healthy and bringing energy and passion. Justin Reid is practicing at a high level. I'm really excited about those guys. Ben Edwards has taken a step. Brandon Simmons has taken a huge step. We have a lot of guys in that defensive secondary who have game experience, passion about what they do and are great communicators about what they do. They want to be a very, very good unit. Coach Akina has done a nice job of preparing those guys at a high level.

Dalton Schultz was in a yellow jersey and will be held out of contact drills. Staff is resting him as a veteran player. Scooter Harrington and Kaden Smith each had good plays: They are good at the line of scrimmage, physical blockers, which is first and foremost for us. And secondarily they can catch the ball. They can stretch the field. They can make plays down the field as well in the middle of the field with their bog bodies. These guys take pride in Tight End U and I think the next few years you're really going to see that.

Evaluate running backs: "I was excited. As much as anything that happened today I was excited about that. To see in particular two young freshmen who I tell them aren't freshman anymore. Dorian Maddox had a really nice run, physical and ran through tackles early on. It starts up front with the guys blocking, but to see those young guys and Cameron Scarlett came through and made a big run later on. Trevor (Speights) bounced a couple outside and ran through some arm tackles. It's great to see those guys running strong, running fast and breaking tackles.

Notes

Inside linebacker pairings: Kevin Palma/Jordan Perez, Sean Barton/Joey Alfieri, and Bobby Okereke/Mustafa Branch.

They rotated independently of the defensive line. The first three defensive linemen: Eric Cotton, Harrison Phillips and Dylan Jackson. Second group: Jovan Swann, Bo Peek and Michael Williams. Schaffer rotated in as well.

Ben Edwards and Justin Reid started together in base defense. Reid would slide to nickel and Brandon Simmons would come in. In the second unit, Malik Antoine would move to nickel from corner and Obi Eboh would come in.

Alameen Murphy lined up as No. 2 CB. Meeks was No. 1.

At OLB: Mike Tyler and Casey Toohill seemed to play together and Peter Kalambayi with Curtis Robinson, but there was some switching happening. Jordan Fox appeared to be working the the threes.

As always, if anyone saw differently (there were times I lost track of a few things), please feel free to add on observations or suggest corrections.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News