ADVERTISEMENT

Football Oct. 22 Press Conference: David Shaw Notes and Quotes

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Stanford's injury list worsens.

As noted in another thread, David Shaw informed the media (Albert Thomas and me) at the press conference today that kicker Jet Toner is out of the rest of the season. Ryan Sanborn will punt and kick for now while other options are evaluated.

Quarterbacks KJ Costello and Davis Mills are both "questionable", however Costello is expected to practice today in a limited capacity while Mills "possibly" will practice Wednesday. He reiterated that neither could have played last week.

Shaw hopes to have safety Kendall Williamson back this week. No other player has made meaningful progress toward returning to the field -- Shaw specifically put Jacob Mangum-Farrar and Devery Hamilton in that category.

What stood out to you when you rewatched the game?
"It was pretty upfront, we didn't move the ball very well. The first drive and the last drive -- the first drive we made the throws, we got protection, we made the catches, made some nice runs. The last drive was the same. When we can do that we can move the ball.

"Throughout the game offensively ... call it whatever you want -- inexperience or whatever -- there were too many negative plays. I think we averaged less than two yards a carry or whatever it was, which is not us. They're an active front. They pressured us more than they have pretty much the rest of the year, but still things that we were anticipating, especially starting a first-time starter at quarterback. You anticipate more pressure. Didn't handle it very well. Did not get the production from the quarterback position (but) at the same time we had balls deflected and negative plays that pushed us back.

"Defensively, the majority of the game we played really well. We just let out too many explosive plays. I think they had five plays over 20 yards and two plays over 50. Some of those you're going to give up to that quarterback. That quarterback is special. He has got that 'it' factor. He's very comfortable, very calm. We were in his face a bunch and only really sacked him once. We made him move and he threw the ball away and a couple times he got out with his legs. That's what great athletes do. This kid has a chance to be a special quarterback. We gave him too many opportunities. For the most part we gave really good effort on the defensive side but those explosive plays hurt us.

"Special teams, I thought it was one of our better games. We blocked a punt for a touchdown. We've been close all year. It was a great opportunity for those guys to get that done. It was great to see.

"The problem is on our kickoff we let the guy out. We've been great on kickoff return all year, we had him hemmed in inside the 20-yard line, let him escape and that's where Jet got hurt. There are compounding issues there.

"The hard part is we didn't move the ball well enough on offense. We didn't score enough on offense. Too many explosive plays on defense -- those things cloud some outstanding efforts. Ryan Sanborn coming as a true freshman to handle the punting duties, kickoffs and the PAT. I thought he was outstanding.

"Colby Parkinson was really, really good. There were some tough balls. Run-game, pass-game, I thought he did really well.

"Thomas Booker continues to grow and mature and make plays. He's very, ver active. Our inside linebackers I thought had a good game as well. The bottom line is we can't give up explosive plays and offensively we have to move the ball down the field, get in the red zone and score touchdowns."

Obviously injuries change everything, but when you review this past game -- and consider how it fits into the season -- what are you happiest about with this team and disappointed about?
"One of the things I'm very happy with is we recruit the right guys. We have a great mentality on the football team. We have very good leadership. We're guiding the young guys through a difficult process. We're trying to be a great example for them of this is how you handle difficult situations. You handle it with your mentality, your work ethic and your approach to doing what you're supposed to do. We have great examples of that across the entire team.

"The disappointments ... they're obvious. Our execution -- as coaches we'll continue to try to make sure we're putting guys in position to be successful. We're always looking at everything we're doing and making sure that we give them the best opportunity and then hold guys to their responsibilities. Do what we do but do it better."

How do you, the coaching staff and the leadership council try to raise the spirit of the team when things aren't going well?
"I'm not in the business of raising people's spirits. These guys have a finite amount of time to play this game. The high percentage of them understand that and appreciate that and play and practice with energy and passion. At the same time that's the bare minimum -- coming read to play, fired up to play and excited to play. That's the bare minimum.

"We didn't play well Thursday night. Those are hard things to put your finger on. I'm not in the business either of looking for excuses or asking for excuses. It's on us to go out there and play well. I told the guys last week there is no third column: win, loss and the 'it's Ok column'. You have injuries, so it's Ok. There is no other column. Whoever is healthy we have to get them ready and go out there and execute."

Full press conference video

Last edited:
Reactions: shihsl and msqueri
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News