ADVERTISEMENT

Note to parents of 2019 recruits (Herewego2019?) (long)

Baboli

All-American
Nov 8, 2004
To any new recruit from this class, a family member of one, or a friend of one, just wanted to share a few thoughts with you based on my experiences as a parent of a former Stanford Football Player.

I was fortunate enough to be in your position, twice. Nothing like it. Quite nearly like floating as it is such an emotional high.

Anyhow, Ive thought of you frequently over the past several days as the message board has reacted to our recruiting class this year, myself included, and how that might make you or anyone personally related to this class feel when it is anything less than positive.. To be honest, I dont think there is any way around being hurt by those reactions. Ill speak for myself, I would be.

Unfortunately, it is the nature of college football message boards when being connected to a player. It can be a tough go at times. Impossible to not take some of it all personally. I wish it werent so, but there is no way around it.

But, while frustrating, and maddening, here is the good news: While Stanford does not have legions of fans like most top level football schools, the ones it does have, no matter how they react on a message board to this or that, are really special. Special because they care about your kid in a way which is unique in college football, they care about your kid and how he is doing more off of the field more than how he is on the field, even the most vociferous ones, sometimes them more than anyone. I know, Ive seen it, experienced it, and felt if first hand.

While hard to appreciate at times on here, the day we as people connected to recruits should fear is when people are not emotionally connected to this program like they are on here no matter how it manifests itself, because that is the day that they care less about our kids and who they will become off of the field.

I will spare you the specific details, but people on this board have cared for my children in very unique, profound, and committed ways off of the field, and Im sure will continue to do so as they continue to develop. It has been of immeasurable help to my children over the last 10 years, continues to be today, and I know will be in their futures.

So to the extent possible, if you read something on here which makes you mad, or hurt, try not to let it, remind yourself that the same energy and passion behind those messages will be the same energy spent in ways supporting your kid off of the field. Stanford takes care of its own.

Lastly, lots has been written about Coach Shaw on here as well, some less than flattering. He too is unique in college football insofar as he also cares for your kid off of the field in a sincere and committed way. Again, Ive seen this first hand. So no matter what you read here, take comfort in the fact that I guarantee you that your kid is in the hands of someone who will care and watch after him as you send him off for the first time in his young life.

All I got for now, brace yourself upon entering, and when leaving, remind yourself of the above, it helps. Enjoy the ride, nothing like it, both ups and downs.

Lastly, whenever at Stanford for a game, do yourself a favor and go on over to Chuck Taylor Grove, most of these know-it-alls will be there and eager to meet you. They to a person are a very generously spirited bunch. The best thing I ever did was the above. I made life long friendships with some really good people by doing it.

Feel free to private message me if any new parent has any questions or concerns. As you can see, Im full of opinions, sometimes hard hitting, but more than that, eager to help anyone I can with what I learned during my experience as a parent of a Stanford Football player.

Welcome and Go Card!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News