ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Recruiting MBB & WBB recruiting notes: June

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
Welcome to the hoops recruiting notes thread for June. Click here to check out the May recruiting notes thread if you missed any of that. May was a good month for Stanford hoops. Men's basketball landed Davidson grad transfer Michael Jones and Harrison Ingram announced he's coming back. The return of assistant coach Brandon Dunson was also announced. Women's basketball landed Greek guard/forward Stavroula Papadaki to round out their 2022 class.

Men's basketball does have one scholarship to play with if they want to add somebody. I've put my feelers out to see what the plan is there and have not gotten anything back, so I'm interpreting that as an indication that the program is still figuring that part out. Kinda hard to add someone this late in the year and you don't want to fill up a scholarship spot just to fill up a scholarship spot. That can sometimes backfire. I've seen it happen firsthand at Cal. So on that front, we'll just have to wait and see what they decide to do. Maybe they'll put Neal Begovich on scholarship. He'll be a redshirt junior/academic senior. That's a move they might be considering. If you got a scholarship to play with and you can't find anyone really good to use that last scholarship spot, putting a guy on scholly for his final year is a possibility.

On June 1st, 4-star small forward Andrej Stojakovic took an official visit to Stanford. He's becoming a major target. He's still exploring his options, but the fact that Stanford has already got him on an official visit is a good sign. The 2023 class has thinned out a bit in terms of options as Finley Bizjack scratched Stanford off his list and Cade Phillips appears to be heading elsewhere, likely Tennessee. 4-star power forward TJ Power did just get an offer, so he's a name to keep an eye on. In addition to Stojakovic and Powers, 4-star shooting guard Wesley Yates and 4-star Keanu Dawes are names to keep an eye on as well. I think the return of Ingram should help with Yates since Yates is also a Texas guy. Stanford is really making an effort with him. There are others the staff is one, but those are the main names right now. It helps a ton to have Kanaan Carlyle already committed and on board for 2023.

On the women's side, Amanda Muse committed to UCLA, so she's off the board. Juju Watkins and Delaney Thomas still in play. Morgan Cheli out of Mitty was recently offered, class of 2024. I mentioned that in the May thread, but just as a reminder. Admittedly, it would be good for to sit down and get more of an update on where things are with some these players and how Stanford is feeling about 2023. It helps to already have Courtney Ogden and Nunu Agara committed for 2023.

That's basically where things stand on the hoops end. Things overall going well. Solid options still abound for both teams and both teams already have some talent committed for 2023, taking some pressure off of them. I do need to check in with some recruits and see what visit plans they have coming up. They're not necessarily on the same schedule as football, but they do like to get visits done in the summer as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News