ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Recruiting MBB & WBB recruiting notes: August

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
Alrighty, here is the hoops recruiting notes thread for August. The thread for July is here.

The big news on the men's recruiting side is that Kanaan Carlyle will be balling for Overtime Elite for his senior year. It'll basically be like a prep school program for him where he can focus more on basketball and challenge himself more on the court. From what Carlyle told me in my interview with him (key quotes are here), he's fully on board with playing at Stanford and really seems excited to play for Jerod Haase and Rob Ehsan, who was his main recruiter during the process.

On the women's basketball side, it was just posted in the July thread that they've added a walk-on to their 2022 class in Lauren Green, a guard from Castro Valley, CA. @Row26 posted some good info on her in the July thread, so check that out if you haven't already done so. Her bio on GoStanford.com is here.

As I said in the July thread, Green told me she is a regular walk-on who tried out for the team in summer workouts and made the cut. Very impressive.

As for 2025 commit Hailee Swain, her dad shot me a text on Sunday saying she's now 5'9" and that doctors are saying she could grow another 2-3 inches. Growth plates still wide open for her to grow more. So who knows how tall she'll be? She's looking like a really nice find for the program.

I posted this in the July thread, but it still seems applicable: "Juju Watkins and Delaney Thomas are still in the mix, being recruited by Stanford. Morgan Cheli is the most recent 2024 offer I've seen come through on their side. The 2023 class is in solid shape with Courtney Ogden and Nunu Agara committed for 2023. Just a matter of bolstering things by getting Watkins and/or Thomas."

Going back to men's hoops recruiting, 4-star wing Andrej Stojakovic included Stanford in his top six, but all signs point towards UCLA. 4-star small forward Keanu Dawes will be setting up visits soon, so stay tuned for more on that front. 4-star wing Wesley Yates has been hard to get a read of, but Stanford is still very much trying to reel him in.

4-star center Carter Lang is down to Stanford and Vanderbilt. He'll take an official visit to Stanford in the September and decide in October. That's the plan. I've put a Future Cast in for Stanford. At worst I got 50-50 odds of being wrong, lol. But in all seriousness, he seems to value the academic side a lot and I just think when he compares Stanford with Vanderbilt, he's going to choose Stanford. Just on the academics alone and then Haase and his staff are great recruiters and very likable guys, so I'd be surprised if he chooses Vandy, but we'll see.

And then if Lang does come to Stanford, that could help them reel in 2023 3-star shooting guard Jaime Kaiser, Jr. who is from Virginia as well. He's now at IMG academy in Florida, but he and Lang know each other. So that's a connection that could pay off.

Stanford is also on 4-star power forward T.J. Power and 4-star shooting guard Reid Ducharme, but I haven't gotten much of a feel for where things really sit there. I'll see if I can find out more this month.

Jacobe Johnson I've already mentioned in the football breakdown, but it's looking Oklahoma there. Though he has been admitted, so that gives Stanford at least a chance. As I've said, I think they got the best odds of anyone to pull him away from Oklahoma. Stanford did make his top five and he'll be deciding in the middle of the month.

That's pretty much it for 2023. There's a couple other names I mentioned in the July thread if you want to check, but I probably mentioned too many guys last time, so I tried to narrow it down a bit for August.

As for 2024, the offers list is here and attached below. One recent offer who the staff is excited about is point guard Trent Perry. He does't have a star rating by Rivals, but he's considered one of the top point guards out West. So he's legit. They were in to see him at Peach Jam after offering.

There's also three 5-stars who they've offered as well in 2024: Center Yves Missi, point guard Jase Richardson, and small forward Jason Asemota. So those three guys are the biggest fish they are targeting in the 2024 class so far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News