ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Hogan: An Appreciation

msqueri

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
I noticed while making my post ranking every Stanford QB ever by passer rating that Kevin Hogan has four of the top eleven most efficient seasons in our history. Remarkable. In our history, Luck, and Stenstrom are the only other quarterbacks to ever have three 140+ passer rating seasons. Got me to thinking: I wonder how many Power Five QBs in history had four years of quality QB play like Hogan? Just on sheer consistency/the height of his floor, I bet he is in a pretty special class.

I don't even know where I would begin to comprehensively research such a thing so I won't bother, but I did think I'd take a look and see how common it is among drafted QBs in recent years to play four years of college at the level Hogan did. Here are the people in the past four drafts to have a 145+ passer rating for four straight seasons:

2016: Nobody (not even Carson Wentz)
2015: Marcus Mariota had three 163+ seasons before leaving, same with Brett Hundley
2014: Aaron Murray
2013: Nobody

So in a four year span of drafted NFL QBs, Aaron Murray was the only other quarterback to have four years of consistent quality like Hogan did. (That's out of 47 drafted QBs, which is of course itself a subset of only the most elite QBs)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News