ADVERTISEMENT

Ivy League Football scholarships, what a crock

SpokaneLee

All-American
Gold Member
May 17, 2005
Spokane/Tucson
Ivy League schools provide financial aid to students, including athletes, only on the basis of financial need as determined by each institution's Financial Aid Office. There are no academic or athletic scholarships in the Ivy League.Jul 28, 2017

FINANCIAL AID CRITERIA
Ivy League schools provide financial aid to students, including athletes, only on the basis of financial need as determined by each institution’s Financial Aid Office. There are no academic or athletic scholarships in the Ivy League. A coach may assist a prospective student-athlete to obtain an estimated financial aid award, however only the Financial Aid Office has the authority to determine financial aid awards and to notify students officially of their actual or estimated awards.

From an article about Harvard football player Ben Abercrombie:

“I could offer a scholarship to a guy who is 6-1 and weighs 190 pounds and plays your position, but I’m offering you a scholarship even though you’re 5-10 and maybe 175 pounds,” [coach Tim] Murphy said. “You’ve got the passion and drive I’m looking for.”

When Ben walked out of Murphy’s office he was confident he had found his next home. He relished the history at Harvard — he would live in the same dorm, Weld Hall, that John F. Kennedy resided in — and couldn’t wait for the intellectual battles he would wage in the classroom. Yale and Dartmouth would offer Ben football scholarships only days later at their respective football camps, but Ben’s mind already was made up.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News