ADVERTISEMENT

House case on track for settlement?

NoQuestionRox

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2008
Last week I spoke with an expert witness involved with the House case against the NCAA for past NIL violations. He said the NCAA could settle the case but doesn't seem inclined to do so. Then I read this last night:

This is a hold my beer moment for NIL in college sports.

Stanford really needs to have a "coming to Jesus" reckoning with itself and what it is going to do in major college sports. To me, it's insane to place roster restrictions nobody else has on teams forced to pay players for their services. Could there be anything dumber that embracing a system that forces you to pay lesser talent at the top of the market, to have a lousy product that loses money?

Stanford should divest football any maybe a few other sports from the university and allow it to have a different relationship with it than it has always had before. Athletes are allowed to play for Stanford as long as they meet certain requirements. Stanford can still accept those who are eligible for admission out of high school, but those that aren't get to be put into some "pre-Stanford" curriculum that allows them to maintain eligibility to play for the Stanford team. Then if they qualify, they get admitted to Stanford, but if they don't they have been paid for their services. Again, it's just sheer lunacy to be forced into a system where you are deciding to pay top dollar for lesser players who can get into Stanford, but will increase your odds of losing games and money, just to hold on to some self-imposed, holier than thou elitist practice that no longer applies to the market you compete in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News