ADVERTISEMENT

High school football is upon us!

msqueri

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
In another thread I pointed out that two of the top prospects remaining on Stanford's board, Cody Hagen and Carson Tabaracci, started their senior seasons in Utah last week. Much of the rest of the board is 48 hours from the start of their seasons. I thought I'd get a thread going on the very exciting development that high school football is starting up. Given the weirdness of last year this feels like a long time coming, though of course the pandemic is still happening.

In the past one of my favorite and longest running research projects has been detailed summaries of each prospect's games. It's been something I've loved doing once it's done each week but it's awfully time-intensive and it's quite possible (certainly more prudent!) that I decide my fall Saturdays this year will be better spent on walks with my wife, golf, work for my day job, and of course watching college football. It's more likely I post occasional, selective observations and benefit from what others glean/post. But one thing I might do is point to interesting upcoming games in case folks want to see prospects in action for themselves thanks to the increasing ubiquity of live streams of high school football games. I can't promise I'll do this each week either but it's easier than going through all the games so may be more likely. Your viewing guide for this week (links to the livestreams).

Games of the Week

Friday at 5:30pm PDT: Buford vs. North Cobb

It will always be hard to top the QB when it comes to fan interest and Ashton Daniels gets his season started in popcorn popping, eyeballs peeled, bone chilling fashion. His campaign for a third consecutive state championship begins against the Georgia Bulldogs junior varsity team, errr, the North Cobb Warriors. In the senior class alone the Warriors boast composite #109 CB Marquis Groves-Killebrew (Georgia commit), #214 WR De'Nylon Morrissette (crystal balls predict Georgia), #289 WR Samuel Mbake, #500 CB Andre Stewart (Kentucky commit), #565 EDGE Joshua Josephs. If Daniels wants to throw anywhere on the edge or downfield he'll have to beat future SEC defenders.

Friday at 7:00pm PDT: Bishop Gorman vs. St. Louis

If you want to watch Benjamin Hudson against elite competition, best to do it early in the season before the Gaels start beating up on over-matched teams. Nobody will ever call the mighty Crusaders of Honolulu patsies. Among seniors, they've got offensive linemen committed to San Diego State and Arizona as well as a defensive back committed to Hawaii and are always among the best teams in the nation. This offensive line will be a good test for Hudson.

Friday at 5:00pm PDT: Lipscomb Academy vs. Greater Atlanta Christian

Sam Roush squares off against the high school that gave us Davis Mills and Myles Hinton. What interests me about this the most is the possibility that on one or both sides of the ball Roush could have matchups against composite #113 OL Addison Nichols (a former Stanford mega priority we couldn't reel in and is committed to Tennessee). It could also be extremely interesting for Roush on passing routes as Greater Atlanta Christian safety Will Hardy is composite #906 and a Virginia commit.

Other notes:

* Sierra Canyon games will be of particular interest all fall as we have two commits from there, Kamari Ramsey and Kenji Swanson, but the game this Friday is one of the two opponents they face this season who is not a very serious opponent. The rest of the schedule is absurdly tough so there will be many more interesting games to watch.

* Franklin vs. Riverdale at 5pm on Friday could feature Fisher Anderson trying to fend off composite #799 LB Elijah Herring (Tennessee commit).

* Torrey Pines vs. Cathedral Catholic at 7:15pm PDT on Friday is the only matchup that would be fitting since these two prospects have been inextricably linked throughout the recruiting process for many schools: Stanford DL commit Zach Rowell vs. Cal DL commit (and priority Stanford target) Jaxson Moi.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News