ADVERTISEMENT

Full quotes from Jerod Haase after today's game against Cal

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
Hey guys, I have full quotes from Jerod Haase after today's game posted below. My recap is here, but in case nobody wants to read it because Stanford lost, I am attaching the quotes directly onto the message boards, though I should say I wrote the recap with both schools in mind. Figured some of you would at least like to read what Haase had to say.

“Certainly, a lot of credit to Coach Fox and the Cal team, having a good game plan and having the players really execute it at a high level. I thought they valued the basketball. Which is important with our inability to turn them over. I thought that hurt us some, but I thought both teams really competed, but the reality is when it’s a rivalry game like this on the road and it comes down to essentially a free throw shooting contest at the end, anything can happen and that’s why it didn’t go in our favor.” -Jerod Haase’s opening statement

“I think a little bit they started doing a nice job attacking. We tried to emphasize not fouling because they got in the bonus pretty early and our help side, I thought was a little bit slow and a little bit late compared to what it’s been to all year. I thought we started hugging our man on the weak side and so we’ll need to address that certainly, but I thought they got going downhill to the basket. Got to the free throw line a little bit. More than anything were able to get to the rim more effectively than we’ve had teams do in the past. And I think part of it was our ball screen coverage and part of it was our desire not to foul and then at the end of the day one-on-one defense is a big part of college basketball and that let us down.”-Jerod Haase on what got Cal back in the game after that 11 point lead

“I did talk about the passing of Kobe before the game right when we got to the arena here. And then in terms of at the end of the game, we talked about the ability to be resilient. The ability to handle adversity is really going to define this season. While we are young, I do think we have the ability, I know we have room for growth, but we have the ability to handle adversity and react in a positive way and I think that’s going to be an important next step for us.”-Haase on what he told his team after the game and also Kobe’s passing

“The reality is, I think the guys are resilient. I think they’ve been great at listening to messaging that we’ve been giving them. Tomorrow’s a day off, which is really important for them to take care of their bodies. Tuesday’s going to be a practice, which is going to be uber important and then Thursday’s going to come around and we’re going to treat it like the Super Bowl. And then guess what, the next practice we’re going to do the same thing and the next game we’re going to do the same thing as well. So, while I do understand the importance and the trends and the sports psychology and the whole thing, the reality is we’ve been really good and our guys have been really good at taking each day and taking each message independently and that’s the way we’re going to continue with it.”-Haase on the upcoming homestand against the Oregon schools

“I thought the start of the second half offensively, I loved what we were doing in terms of attacking and getting downhill and trying to get to the paint instead of settling. I thought early in the game, I was really disappointed in the execution of the game plan. But in the start of the second half, I thought that was much better. And then I thought it was, both ends, led to the comeback for them. I think again, we just talked about their ability to get to the basket on their offensive end and then when we were attacking fifteen turnovers is just going to be too many. There’s a differential of eight with turnovers. That’s going to be a hard thing. Especially in a low scoring game. But they played hard, they executed their game plan and I didn’t think we were strong enough when we drove and strong enough at the rim even though that was our goal was to get downhill.”-Haase on what went wrong

“Not necessarily, I knew they were going to go downhill. I have a ton of confidence in all our guys. Bryce was on Bradley, but all our one-on-one defenders I expected it to be a one-on-one situation. It ended up being a free throw situation like we talked about. I don’t know if I was surprised or not, I think we were prepared for all the different situations.”-Haase on if he was surprised by the final play call to go to Austin

“I thought both teams played very very hard. Were attentive to the three-point line. Certainly, a couple clean looks that you hope go in, but I thought both teams, it’s more of a credit to really good defense I think than poor offensive shooting.” -Haase on the poor three-point shooting from both sides (Stanford 2-12; Cal 3-12)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News