ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Football recruiting notes: October

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
Alrighty, it's time for a new football recruiting notes thread as it is now October. The September thread is here.

First off, with the Oregon State game being this weekend, that means visitors. At least potentially. As of now, I have not listed any confirmed visitors for this weekend's game. But, I will be reaching out to recruits, so stay tuned for that. One recruit who did tell me they were thinking about visiting is Valley Christian (San Jose, CA) wide receiver Kia Haghighi. He is class of 2024. He doesn't have an offer, but the staff is looking at him. His MaxPreps profile is here as he currently doesn't have a Rivals profile. So, that's one possible visitor/recruit to keep an eye on for this week.

As far as how the 2023 class might be rounded out, the following targets are still in play: 3-star DT Elijah Hughes, 3-star OLB Tre Williams, 3-star OLB Asa Newsom, and 4-star ILB Leviticus Su'a. Hughes and Newsom have both given me the green light to share that they are admitted. I think of that group, Williams is the one who I'm getting the best vibes from at the moment. I'm liking Stanford's chances. Hughes, I'm kinda thinking he's looking to go elsewhere just because he was considered for a time to be a sure thing for Stanford if he got admitted. But he hasn't verbally committed elsewhere, so there's still a chance Stanford reels him in.

Newsom I haven't had as much contact/exchanges with, so he's been harder to read. The one thing Stanford does have going for them is they are the only school on his offers list that isn't in the Midwest. So if he wants to leave the Midwest, Stanford is really his only option right now. The big thing to look for is whether or not he comes out to visit for a game. That seems to be something he's wanting to do to help evaluate where he's going to go. He visited Iowa for their September 10th game and he visited Minnesota this past weekend for their game. So, I'll of course be checking in with him this weekend to see if he has an update on a game. Whether or not he visits for a game will be a good indicator of Stanford's chances, I think.

And then with Su'a, he's keeping things close to the vest. Adam Gorney feels like it's an Arizona/Stanford race. This is one where you have to hope Mater Dei teammate David Bailey helps to reel him in. On paper, if he gets admitted, between Stanford and Arizona, Stanford seems like the program that should win out. Closer to home, way better academics, and then even with Stanford being a down program right now, it's not like Arizona is a major destination for football players historically. So, those are reasons to have hope for Stanford and given how much they need help at inside linebacker, I believe this would be the biggest commit for Stanford in the 2023 class.

One possible visitor for 2024 is 3-star offensive tackle Ashton Funk. He recently caught up with Rivals' Nick Harris. The plan is to visit sometime after his Michigan visit on October 15th. I will check with him before the Oregon State game to confirm that's still the case and just see if he happens to have something lined up. Funk did visit back in July as well.

Another 2024 visitor is 3-star offensive tackle Gibson Pyle. He is planning on visiting for the Arizona State game on October 22nd. Also visited back in July.

And then as far as other guys who I would expect to visit but haven't yet confirmed, anyone who visited over the summer, I would expect to be in play for a visit to a game if they haven't already. Check that list out here.

Key names in 2024 that Stanford has offered:

4-star tight ends Christian Bentancur and Hogan Hansen. Stanford is on fire with landing tight ends right now, so those two obviously pop out.

4-star running back Anthony Carrie. He's been showing Stanford some love on social media and visited back in the spring the same weekend as one of their junior days.

A pair of St. John Bosco guys in 4-star ILB Kyngstonn Viliamu-Asa and 4-star CB Marcelles Williams. Jshawn Frausto-Ramos is recruiting both of his teammates really hard. They both visited in June only one day apart. Might have been at the same time, but I have their visit dates one day apart.

4-star offensive tackle Fletcher Westphal. He visited Stanford back in July.

3-star cornerback Brandon Nicholson. Only five total offers right now and Stanford is the only posted visit he has in his profile at the moment.

3-star quarterback Austin Mack. Visited for the USC game. Might visit for more games as well. Also visited in the spring. I'm liking Stanford's chances a lot with him right now.

4-star quarterback Elijah Brown. Mater Dei kid. Gotta hope Stanford can start a bit of a pipeline from Mater Dei via Bailey, Su'a, and then Brown.

Couple of key names who they haven't offered, but have visited in the spring/summer:

4-star OLB Andrew Hines. Visited back in April along with Cal.

3-star OT Manasse Itete. He visited back in August.

There's other names as well, but those are the main ones in 2024.

Lastly, just real quick, click here to get caught up on dates that commits are visiting. E.g. Hunter Clegg and Zak Yamauchi are visiting for the BYU game and Jshawn Frausto-Ramos is visiting for ASU. At least at the moment that's the plan. Clegg also planning on visiting for the game at Utah. There's also a few other more minor visitors (non-commits) that you'll see as well. It would take too long for me to list every name!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News