ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Football recruiting notes: July

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
Alright, it's time for the July football recruiting notes thread to kick off. Lots of good stuff happened in June and hopefully more good stuff will happen in July. Actually, July started off with a nice bang as 2023 3-star guard Simione Pale committed on Friday, July 1st. Click here to check out the June recruiting notes thread.

In case you need a refresher on who all the commits are for 2023 so far, check that out below.

At this point, the main thing to look for in July is who else will commit and join #CardClass23. The biggest guy to keep an eye on is of course 4-star quarterback Dylan Lonergan. South Carolina has been the front runner for a while, but I did put in Future Cast predicting Lonergan to Stanford at the end of June after his official visit. Caleb Alexander, who covers South Carolina for Rivals admitted he's not feeling as confident in the Gamecocks' chances as he did before. He also thinks the Gamecocks landing 2024 4-star quarterback Dante Reno should help Stanford's chances. In his commitment article on Reno, he did say Reno was thinking about reclassifying to the 2023 class. If Reno does indeed decide to reclassify to 2023 or if that is indeed the plan, that definitely bodes well for Stanford's chances, I think. July 12 is the current commitment date for Lonergan.

The other big name is 4-star tight end Walker Lyons. I have a Future Cast in for him. BYU is the biggest threat since his dad went there, but I still think all signs point to Stanford. He's tight with Ari Patu and the latest commit Simione Pale. Plus the Steve Young/LDS connection as well. He seems to value the academic side and the fact that Stanford has a great track record with tight ends. I think odds are good he ends up in a Cardinal uniform.

Other names to keep an eye on are 2023 3-star wide receiver Kelby Valsin. I've been told he's down to Texas Tech, Stanford, and Boston College. Likely gonna be Texas Tech, but he hasn't decided yet.

3-star offensive tackle Evan Link, who did visit officially at the end of June, is reportedly down to Penn State and Stanford. He's kept things on the down low, but is by all accounts a kid who does value the academic side a lot.

3-star offensvie tackle Zak Yamauchi, who I do have a FutureCast in for, is looking like either Stanford or Boston College. He took an OV to both schools. Stanford the weekend of the 24th and Boston College the weekend prior.

3-star offensive tackle Ethan Thomason is another one to keep an eye on as well. LDS kid who took his official visit at the end of June.

3-star defensive tackle Cameron Brandt is down to Cal and Stanford. He's taking his officials to both schools and is thinking things through. I think the longer he holds off, the better it is for Stanford since Cal was the front runner and Stanford is the school who is hoping to make up ground.

3-star defensive end Gavin Geweniger is a kid who was a late addition to the June official visitors list, visiting at the end of June. He has not yet made a decision. I admittedly don't have as much of a feel for him right now, but I'll see if I can learn more in the coming days.

3-star defensive end Hunter Clegg, another LDS guy, visited at the end of June. That's looking like a Stanford/Utah race. I would be very surprised if he ends up elsewhere.

3-star defensive end Trey Wilson feels like a long shot right now. He did include Stanford in his top eight, but never got back to me about an official visit.

3-star OLB Asa Newsom, who visited the weekend of June 18th is yet to make a decision. He's a guy I need to get more of a feel for, but obviously there's interest there.

Non-rated defensive lineman/edge Elijah Huges visited twice this summer, one for camp after which he got an offer and the next for an official visit. I have a FutureCast in for him to Stanford as does Jason Stamm in our network. He's got family out this way and initiated contact with Stanford. All signs point to him committing to the Cardinal.

4-star ILB Siale Esera has an official visit lined up the weekend of the BYU game. LDS kid. It's too early to really narrow things down for him, but my early read is this is a BYU/Stanford race.

4-star ILB Leviticus Su'a visited the weekend of June 24th for his official visit. Given he's a Mater Dei guy, I think Stanford has good odds here. Hopefully David Bailey spent some time with him on the visit. He has also taken an unofficial visit to Oregon and an official visit to Arizona.

3-star OLB Tre Williams is my latest Future Cast. I put one in for him moments ago. He took his official visit at the end of June and also visited earlier in the spring. His dad balled at Stanford. Cal is making a push, I see this one going Stanford's way assuming he gets admitted.

4-star CB Jordan Matthews has been admitted after visiting the weekend of June 17th. Lot of Future Casts coming in for Texas. They seem to be the front runners right now. Many of you interpreted his quotes to me as him more looking at Stanford as a tourist visit and getting admitted as a box to check off and nothing more. As I said, the best thing Stanford has going for them is the present of Duane Akina, who he does seem to respect a lot.

3-star CB Smith Snowden has said good things about Stanford and seems to be interested, but is hard to read right now since he hasn't yet lined up visit. I'll continue to keep tabs on him and see if anything develops on that front. Stanford is in his top eight, though.

3-star S Brock Fonoimoana visited during that first wave of June official visitors. His offers list remains pretty light. I think Stanford has good odds here. BYU being the biggest threat since he's LDS, but Stanford has a strong pull with LDS recruits, so I think their LDS ties is a plus for them in this one. The other connection that helps is the Duane Akina/Hawaii connection. Stanford should be feeling confident about this one.

4-star ATH Jacobe Johnson took his official visit at the end of June and also took an unofficial visit in the middle of May. He met with Jerod Haase and the basketball staff on his official visit as well. The opportunity to play both sports should help Stanford's chances as should the fact that he's visited twice. Stanford seems to have good odds with him.

2023 3-star ATH Ben Minich is one final guy to bring up. Recently offered. Latest I've heard from him is no visit set up. I'll keep checking in.

I'm pretty sure that's all the key names. If I happened to miss one, lemme know and I'll share my thoughts on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News