ADVERTISEMENT

Football Feb. 27 post-practice David Shaw, Lance Anderson, Kevin Carberry

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Shaw

"There are a lot of guys with post-season surgery and are missing, but the guys who are out there went hard and took care of each other (because) we're not in pads, yet. The effort was there and the attention to detail. We made a conscious effort in all three phases to really limit installation, so we can get back to teaching technique and demanding effort."

Who are the missing people?
"It's a long list."

He listed: KJ Costello, Davis Mills, Joey Alfieri (Doing really well but will be held out of spring), Jesse Burkett miss spring. And "quite a few others". Shaw said Costello's injury had been bothering him for a while and it was "smart to get it taken care of right now."

Mike Williams "is doing great" and can participate in individual work. "He's probably felt as good as he's felt in a long time."

Ryan Beecher is not with the team. "He's doing everything he can to battle" and "by all accounts he's doing well."

Sean Barton out for spring and "should be turned loose" during the summer. Alijah Holder is finishing his rehab and "doing really, really well."

Jack Richardson is "getting a lot of reps", Shaw said. "He had a good day today. He really did. Tavita Pritchard will jump in a little bit also and give him some rest so we don't throw his arm out. Jack is taking a lot of reps. Jack has been around for a while now and knows what to do. He has great command of the huddle and guys love him."

When asked if Jay Tyler might get a few reps at QB: "Jay is one of the guys out" and may be out the whole spring.

Doesn't it set you back to having only one quarterback in your spring drills?
"Nope. We got a lot of work done. The rules allow us to bring guys back. Ryan Burns is in school, so he came out and threw some of the individual routes today. We're going to have other guys come through and help us out as well."

What is it you want to say about this team after the first two-week session?
"I want to say everyone who steps onto that field knows exactly what to do and how to do it. I want to make sure there is no indecision, no misunderstanding. Everyone knows exactly what to do and how to do it and then we'll compete for playing time in the fall. Right now we want to teach all our phases and have everyone on the same page. Coming off a good year (and) in the Pac-12 championship game -- that's great but we lost five games and four of them by three points or less. That's a mentality now. Those two or three points can be made up by guys doing exactly what they're supposed to do ... so that's where I want to start in the spring, and we'll grow from there. But right now that's the most important thing."

How's play calling going to work with Tavita Pritchard and Kevin Carberry?
"We're going to work it out. Tavita knows he has my ear and I trust him implicitly all the way back to when he was a player. He knows this offense inside and out. Coach Carberry will of course have a role not just game planning, but what we do on gameday. Morgan Turner as well, so really pooling the staff's knowledge and understanding to put guys in the best position to be successful. Exactly how it works we'll work that out."

Lance Anderson

What is the day one checklist without pads on?
"A lot of base, fundamental (work) and some of it's difficult with no pads. What the emphasis really is technique and being sound in what you do and play hard with a lot of energy. I felt that today. It has been a few months off the field and there was excitement and energy. It was great getting them back on the field."

Has anyone stood out to you in some of the strength and conditioning work they've done since you last saw them?
"It is noticeable when you have an older guy like Casey Toohill who has been here awhile and worked hard in the weight room. He shows he's come a long way and is physically ahead of a lot of other kids. Dylan Jackson, who starts to show he's come along and has gotten stronger and is more physical than a lot of the other guys right now. That's good to see. It's good to see a young guy like Dalyn Wade-Perry, who flashed today and really shows you he has an upside. Once he figures all this out he has a chance to be really good."

Any other first impressions on the field today?
"There were a lot of young DBs on the field today with some of the injuries going on there. It was great to see Paulson Adebo got a ton of reps, Stuart Head got a lot of reps. Even guys who haven't got a reps in the past like JJ Parson and Noah Williams -- it was great to get them in there and they did a really good job for us today."

Have you had conversations with any of the younger guys about stepping up in bigger roles?
"Yes. Whether it's Paulson or Stu, Dalyn, Ryan Johnson and getting a guy like Bo Peek back and it's letting those guys know there is all kinds of opportunity. It's up to you and go out and win the job. There will be a lot of reps and chances to do it."

You mention Ryan Johnson, who struggled through a lot during the fall. What have you seen from him in probably the first extended period of him being available?
"It really is. It's still a work in progress. He's behind because he had a limited fall. You can see in the early-morning conditioning that his conditioning level, his strength level needs to get better. It was just great to see him out there today and get through a full practice. But the more you see him do, the better you see him get. So, I think if we can keep him healthy for an extended period of time he has a lot of athletic ability and a lot of upside."

Is this defense as wide open to competition as you can remember?
"Yes. From top to bottom I think so. We have a guy back in Bobby Okereke who played really well and got better and better. But after that there is a lot of questions. I think there are a lot of open spots. I like the guys we have."

What stands out to you about the front-seven recruits coming in?
"You start with guys like Thomas Booker, Andres Fox and Tobe Umerah they're good sized, athletic kids. Maybe they can't play every down, but as athletic as they are and strong as they are for their age, you hope they can come in and maybe give something. Maybe it's a pass rush situation or play on first and second downs here and there. But looking at their size and athleticism, I think those guys have a chance.

Caleb Kelly is a really long kid and so is Jacob Mangum-Farrar. You wonder if they'll be ready that early. But down the line they're going to be really good players as they get stronger."

Kevin Carberry

CSR Note:
This conversation did not yield any details and it may have been too early to have a conversation with the new OL coach. I'll make sure to touch base again before the end of the first session.

How does it feel to step back into college football (as OL coach and run game coordinator) and the running back is a Heisman trophy candidate?
"You want to do a good job and try to put guys in the best situation to be successful. Try to implement schemes that will best suit our players abilities."

How clean a slate is it for you with these guys about positions they play and starters?
"You want to get to know the guys and see what they do well. Some guys have more experience than others at specific positions but it's all relatable. There are parts of the right guard position that are relatable to the right tackle position. And some of the blocking combinations of the run game are the same. You try to sharpen their tools and fundamentally and just working on fundamentals in the run game and pass game. Right now it's not so much about playing where and it's about the fundamentals, like working the feet like crazy. Which is critical to work from the ground up."

Has anything stood out about working with these guys?
"They're great. They're a joy to work with. We had meetings last week and morning workouts. The first spring ball was today and we had a meeting this morning. They're attentive in meetings and dialed in. It's very much what I expected. They're great young men and a pleasure to be around."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News