ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Article On Deion Sanders

StanfordMan

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2009
It has been discussed plenty here previously in terms of Stanford’s hiring of Coach Taylor versus a “bigger name.” Of course, I am hopeful that Coach Taylor can turn things around, but I remain disappointed that Stanford did not make what most would view as a “home run hire.” ESPN has an article today on Deion Sanders and what he means to Colorado. We’ve covered a lot about his hire already, but this article certainly highlights what I dreamed about in terms of someone making a huge splash as Stanford’s new coach and how that could translate into an immediate invigoration of positivity and sense of relevancy in college football again. Clearly, Stanford is not Colorado, so things would not have changed so quickly at Stanford as they have in so many ways already at CU, regardless of who we hired. But does anyone thing that ticket sales or merchandising sales will go up significantly this season before we start winning? I envision continued paltry attendance at home games until winning and buzz about Stanford football becomes a reality. And even if we accept that getting a coach with huge buzz and name recognition is not vital, I’m still disappointed and frustrated that Stanford can’t seem to find a way to try and create buzz and enthusiasm. Take last night’s “Meet and Greet With Coach Taylor” zoom event for STH’s. It couldn’t have been more bland. They didn’t even put Coach Taylor in a place with some pizzazz that showed off Stanford’s football heritage or the campus. Rather he was in some office with his background muted. At one point the lights in the room went off and he had to wave his arms to get the lights to activate the motion detector to turn the lights back on. It was a metaphor for how boring this event really was. Anyway, I’m attaching a link to the article for your information. I’m just depressed because while I’m sure Coach Taylor is a great guy and a great football coach, I still feel that if Stanford was really intent on being great in football again, things would have ended up differently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News