ADVERTISEMENT

Football Davis Mills to the Houston Texans

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Houston, you have your quarterback. A franchise stuck in a rut of bad publicity over trade decisions and now what could be a horrible situation with Deshaun Watson just drafted a heck of an insurance policy. Davis Mills is the best quarterback recruited to Stanford during the David Shaw regime and his absence from one, plus almost a full week of practice, and subsequent stellar play the last four weeks showed his value to Stanford.

If Mills doesn't sit in Eugene because of a false COVID-19 positive who knows what happens. I think most analysts would support a prediction that Stanford beats Colorado the following week if he was cleared to do more than the walk through the day before. Ah well, the difference between 6-0 or 5-1 might have decided by one of the challenges of a pandemic. Considering his injury struggles leading up to and while at Stanford I think the story was fairly consistent for Mills and Stanford.

Like with Little there are many what-ifs about Mills' time as a Cardinal. I strongly hold to the opinion that he would have eventually been the starting quarterback his freshman season.

If Mills' 11 starts had been in one full season it would have been remembered as one of the better seasons by a quarterback in the modern era for Stanford. But if there is any momentum for Stanford this season off of a 4-2 season it's largely because of Mills and that's the best parting gift Stanford was going to get after four years impacted by injuries to Mills, injuries to everyone around him, and then a pandemic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News