ADVERTISEMENT

David Shaw discusses QB and kicking battle, Kansas State kickoff time, and possible breakout players

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
David Shaw spoke to the media after Sunday’s open practice. He gave a standard update on the quarterback battle. Nothing new there. He did address the kicking battle as well. Looks like Josh Karty will likely be the starter there.

He talked about how they’re prepping for the 9AM kickoff time against Kansas State and how he doesn’t want to change up their sleep schedules too much. And then he did mention a few guys who he thinks are in a position to possibly have a breakout year. Below is a full transcription. I’ll do the players in a separate thread all together.

Q: Curious to know about a couple of positions and if they are settled or not. Kicker: Is [Joshua] Karty looking like he’ll get the job?

A: “I don’t know if settled is right, because both guys are doing really well. They’re all kicking [Karty and Preciado], but in particular Josh Karty is doing really well. Extremely talented, but thankfully we have a room full of guys that can both kick and punt. But, Karty is off to a really good start.”

Q: At the quarterback position with Tanner McKee and Jack West, how are they similar, how are they different, and what are some strengths that both guys bring that’s different?

A: “Well, I mean obviously Jack has been here longer. A little bit quicker between ears on most things. Just the amount of experience and more practice time and more coaching. And Tanner, a little taller, a little faster athlete, but both guys are doing really well right now. Not at the point where I’m going to take the temperature. Just kinda practicing right now. Probably next off day I’ll take a look at it, but still probably won’t make a decision. But the good thing is both guys are able to operate the offense.”

Q: Was there any particular emphasis for how the reps were split for the people that were here to see this one practice?

A: “Pretty much 50/50. So we did two groups of offensive linemen. Which is how we kinda determined this is the first group, this is the second group. So, both guys kinda split time with both groups. That was the idea. Just to give those two, not give any other quarterbacks except those two most of the reps today and see how it went.”

Q: What was your initial assessment?

A: “Tanner threw a pick early on and then after that, both guys moved the ball down the field and we were only stopped by me stopping the drill. Tanner got there down there to the red zone and then Jack was kinda on the outskirts when we were in the stops, so it was just a play count. But both guys moved the ball down the field.”

Q: Curious to know more about Nathanial Peat and how he’ll be used this year. 7 yards per carry last season. How do you see him fitting into the offense this year and do you expect him to get more touches?

A: “That’s where we are. We want to have Nate touch the ball. Not just as a runner, but as a receiver, too. He does some really nice things. Austin Jones is having an outstanding camp as well. So, I love where we are with those two guys. As you saw today too, E.J. Smith is kinda coming as a runner, as a receiver. Doing a little bit of both. But that room is really packed right now. But specifically, Nate, we wanna make sure Nate gets more touches this year. We think he’s got a chance to be a gamebreaker.”

Q: How does Benjamin Yurosek look so far?

A: “Ben has been great. Ben has been great. We think it’s going to be a breakout year for both he and Lukas Ungar. Both guys are sophomores. Both guys have spent some time a little dinged up. But we think those two guys are going to be in the position of tight ends that we’ve had here. Those guys are going to be really really good.”

Q: Question on Jordan Fox. He’s had quite a journey since he first arrived. Been six years. What do you think he can add to the team this year after injuries and all?

A: “No one around here will ever question Jordan’s toughness or his resolve. He couldn’t come right out of high school, so he spent a year away. Took some classes, got a job, worked for a year. Came back. So he started freshman a year a little bit late. Walked in with so much maturity, so much dedication, and worked so hard. Earned the respect of the locker room, earned the respect of the coaching staff. Played really well. And for the last two years he’s just been banged up.

But now, knock on wood he’s healthy as he’s been the last three years. He looks great out there. He doesn’t look like an old man, although he is one of the old men on the team. But he’s an inspiring guy. With those young guys around him he speaks with such certainty, makes calls very loud, he grabs the young guys and tells them what to do. He’s been around here a long time, but the day he graduates I’m going to be a little sad because he’s been so steady for us both on the field and off.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News