ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Yurosek, Austin Jones, and Kyu Blu Kelly discuss fall camp

BenParker

Publisher
Staff
Aug 4, 2015
Mountain View, CA
stanford.rivals.com
Today I interviewed sophomore tight end Ben Yurosek, junior running back Austin Jones, and junior cornerback Kyu Blu Kelly.

Yurosek is eager to do whatever the staff wants from him and be a selfless team player. Trying to stay grounded amid talks from Shaw of him having a breakout year. Jones talked about how the game is slowing down for him now and how he feels his vision is his major strength. Kelly talked about how the defense is coming together and how he feels they’re ready to make serious noise. Kelly also threw a little shade at wide receivers as a group, which was kinda funny. I also learned that a lot of guys are taking that virtual reality class: COMM 166.

Note: Practice was only open for the first 30 minutes, so I wasn't really able to see much. I went to the GSB and cooled my heels until they allowed us back over.

Q: Can you talk about the overall energy of camp right now?

Yurosek: “High energy every day. I mean, it’s beautiful out here. We just gotta bring it and make sure we’re competing at the highest level, ya know?”

Q: As far as your spot in the tight end rotation is concerned, how are you kinda figuring to factor in? Because Coach Shaw has talked about you possibly having a breakout kinda year.

Yurosek: “I’m here for any job they need me to do. Whether it’s run blocking, pass, different routes, so I’m just here to help the team anyway they need me. Y or F.”

Q: What part of being a tight end do you most enjoy?

Yurosek: “I would say that versatility of a tight end. Being able to run block, pass, get out there for routes. Really understanding all about football. I spent some time at o-line previously and played wide receiver. It’s a little bit of a mix. So, I love it.”

Q: You said you’re willing to do whatever is asked of you, but are you more of a receiving tight end, blocking tight end, what’s your main specialty?

Yurosek: “I would like to think I’m a hybrid. I think that I love run blocking and I love getting out there for passes. Anyway I can help the team. Therefore I wouldn’t say I’m one sided.”

Q: Looking ahead to Kansas State, can you talk about the early morning kickoff time. Is that something you guys are talking about at all?

Yurosek: “You know what, we’re going to have to deal with it and I think we’re going to be ready for it. We’ve dealt with plenty of adversity and going at 9 is not the worst thing we’ve done in the last year, so we’ll be ready.”

Q: Is there a specific aspect of your game that you’ve really been focusing on? Anything the coaching staff has put an emphasis on for you?

Yurosek: “I think it’s all around, right? I mean, with the amount of tight ends we have right now, they’re asking us to do a lot of different stuff. Me, Brad, Tucker, and Lukas. So, I think we all just really had to get versatile and if one of us goes down we have to replace the other on the job. So, we’re all ready.”

Q: Can you talk about Jack West and Tanner McKee, the two quarterbacks and how they’re looking in camp so far?

Yurosek: “I think they’ve both been playing amazing. Great leadership from both. I think when it comes time to play we’re going to have two quarterbacks that are both ready to play. So, excited.”

Q: Is there a particular class you are looking forward to this fall quarter?

Yurosek: “I’m thinking about taking a virtual reality class. Which is super interesting. Something that Stanford offers that a lot of schools don’t. You get an Oculus and a whole headset and it’s pretty special. So, looking forward to that.”

Q: Has Thomas Booker talked to you about that? Because he was raving about that.

Yurosek: “Exactly. Yeah, yeah, yeah. So, I know a bunch of the football guys are in it right now. So, excited to hopefully take that one, too.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News