ADVERTISEMENT

Football Aug. 19 Post-practice Q&A Shaw, Diron Reynolds and Sean Barton

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
It was not a full-contact scrimmage in full pads like last Sunday. There was a lot of drill work and some seven-on-seven for most of the practice. There was 11-on-11 for a short team period before special teams at the end.

A few eyecatchers:
-- Check down throws to Bryce Love are not fair to linebackers. There was at least one that left Mustafa Branch chasing from a distance.
-- I'm no scout, but Davis Mills is very good. And he found Simi Fehoko threes times for some really nice gains. The best throw by KJ Costello was about 30-40 yards downfield to the back shoulder of JJ Arcega-Whiteside. JJ made the catch look easy and it didn't matter that Paulson Adebo was right next to him. Touchdown.
-- Drew Dalman was again with the first team at center. He's by no means dominant and there is a noticeable gap between him and Jesse Burkett, as you assume there would be. But Stanford can find a way to be a great line around Dalman. Foster Sarell and Nick Wilson didn't practice today, so it was only Brandon Fanaika and Devery Hamilton at left guard. Fanaika was with the first team to "start" but it's difficult to say how notable that was. Walk-on Grant Pease was the second team left tackle.

Held out of practice: Donald Stewart, Ryan Johnson, Malik Antoine, Treyjohn Butler, Dalyn Wade-Perry (boot on right foot), Curtis Robinson and Brandon Simmons.

David Shaw

It will be "close" about whether Jesse Burkett is ready for the opener. "See how he does the next week." Will know in next week or so if Alijah Holder will player opener.

Dalyn Wade-Perry was in a boot but Shaw said he expects Wade-Perry to be ready in plenty of time to play the opener.

"I was happy about us learning how to practice when we're not in full pads. To go full speed up to the point of collision and pull back a little bit. We'll put the pads on tomorrow and get after it tomorrow, but on days like today when we just have the shoulder pads on -- we had two really good practices in shoulder pads that shows we're getting smarter."

Shaw described the left guard competition as "still murky".

Does Drew Dalman look like the answer at center if Burkett can't go?
"It's close. We're rolling three guys through there now, which is great. Drew is doing a very good job."

Are there any pre-snap adjustments to the offense if it's not Burkett or do you just try to ramp up Dalman's readiness?
"Absolutely (ramp up). I wouldn't want to hamstring our offense by taking some things off. If our quarterback wants to see something and get us to something our center has to trigger it and we got to get to our guys run or pass. That's our goal right now, if Jesse can't go whoever starts has to be ready."

Diron Reynolds

Dalyn Wade-Perry and Ryan Johnson have battled injury off and on this camp, so what have they shown when they've been able to suit up?

"They had time in the very beginning. Dalyn probably more so than Ryan, he has been in and out. Right now we're concentrating on the walk throughs and making sure that they're getting the timing down, hand placement and knowing the calls. We know who they are for the most part, especially Dalyn, because showed a little bit more during the spring because he was healthy. Coach them up on the fly during the season."

We've talked a lot about Dalyn's athletic potential and learning to use it. What has he been able to show in camp after a good spring?
"He is much better with his feet. He is much stronger at the point and is pushing the pocket a lot better. He is starting to understand how the defense works around him. When guys start understanding that they're not as selfish within the defense. I think that he's starting to get it."

Mike Williams seems to have taken steps. How is he better now compared to the spring?
"Mike is a lot stronger. He knows the defense better and is playing with much more confidence. I think he's getting off the ball a lot better. He's getting into blockers way quicker than he used to. He has a big body and is able to leverage guys. He's probably been our second or third best pass rusher so far. Definitely one of our better guys in the interior."

What has he worked on to become a better pass rusher?

"I think it's more with his quickness. He's getting off the ball. His anticipation of the snap and movement of the ball has been more on point than in the past year."

What have you seen from Jovan Swann?
"The past two days have been Jovan's best practices. The way he's getting off and getting his hands on blockers really quick. Him and Nate (Herbig) have been having a big battle the way they have been challenging each other with the pass rush. They complement each other well."

How does Swann fare against someone like Herbig now compared to last year during the season?
"It's tons better. I think he's three times better than he was last year. He has made some big steps. He's watching a lot of old tape. I'm showing him guys who fit his stature. He's a big fan of Aaron Donald. I'm trying to show him guys with smaller stature doing the same thing he's doing with his pass rush. I think he has become more active and is absorbing it."

What is Dylan Jackson working on?
"Dylan's next step is showing up on the stat sheet. Last year you didn't hear a lot from Dylan and it was really steady as she goes. The linebackers love playing behind him because he does a great job getting off blocks and knocking blockers back. This year the focus is to finish plays and show up on the stat sheet."

Where is Thomas Booker right now?
"Sometimes you don't know what you're going to get with freshmen out there. He has been steadily picking up the playbook. He's playing with confidence. As he continues to learn and I think the more reps he gets ... he's a very powerful young man, he just doesn't know how to use it all, yet."

I've heard Andres Fox has a lot of athleticism and has work to do to know what to do with it: "That's the biggest thing. Guys who come in with all that explosiveness and athletic ability, sometimes you have to slow them down before they speed back up. Sometimes those guys who are really athletic are in a hurry to make a mistake. We have to train them up."

What are the tools you see with Fox?
"I see his quick twitch. The guy can get off the ball, great anticipation on the ball, can bend, can lean. He is probably one of our fastest guys in our get off."

Sean Barton

How does it feel to be out there playing full contact football?

"It feels good. It's interesting trying to get my eyes right, trying to get my body in the right position. I'm rusty. It has been a year, pretty much. There is less rust than I anticipated. It feels really good. There are no issues so far running around out there. I'm really pleased."

What has been the day-to-day process of knocking that rust off?
"It's just getting back into the mindset of seeing things, trusting your eyes, knowing where your help is and communicating with people. They played a whole season and they're used to playing next to each other. You have to get back into the swing of communicating, seeing the pullers and seeing the route combinations. All those things that I tried to replicate in the offseason with VR and that kind of stuff, but there is nothing like live reps."

Even with the work to catch up, have you seen progress in your game?
"Yeah, I feel like things come slower. Everything seems slower. When you're first out there things are happening really quick and you can't plan ahead because you don't know the playbook that well. I know the playbook now and I have experience, so now it's more planning ahead and knowing what the route combinations might be and setting myself up for an easier situation each play."

What did you see from Bobby Okereke as last season progressed and what have you seen this offseason?
"He became more sure of himself. He's always had the talent and the ability. Now he's confident. You see a guy who can go out there and do everything, whether it's covering guys or taking in pullers, filling the hole, he really can do it all. That's interesting because our whole room really can do that. We've all studied these things together and worked together. Bobby just played out of his mind last year. I was really happy for him."

How are the freshmen doing, Ricky (Miezan) and Jacob (Mangum-Farrar)?
"They're not afraid of the moment, which is the most important thing. You come in as a freshman and you really have no clue what's going on. They've taken our coaching. I think to their credit they've listened to the older guys. We have a lot of guys who have played a lot. They've listened and taken our advice. They're aggressive. They have all the athletic ability, for sure. They'll be good players."

I asked Barton if he played any lacrosse growing up and he said it seemed to be the only sport he didn't try. He said Ryan Beecher was the first one to pull up Miezan's lacrosse highlights and it opened some eyes. He also admired that Miezan gave up lacrosse as a highly touted recruit because it showed his level of commitment to football.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News