ADVERTISEMENT

Football Aug. 14 Post-practice Shaw, Bobby Kennedy and Connor Wedington

Jacob Rayburn

All-American
Staff
Jan 29, 2009
Shaw said they hope to get Curtis Robinson back in the next couple weeks. In the next week and a half to two weeks they'll know about whether Jesse Burkett will miss a couple games.

In the linked video he praised the front seven and the quarterbacks. He talked a little more about the works of centers Brian Chaffin and Drew Dalman. Shaw then added some nice details about Chris Dalman and the similarities with Drew.

Shaw also surprised me a little that he thinks Simi Fehoko is on the verge of pushing for playing time. He would be the first returning LDS missionary to play in his first season back during the Shaw era.

Bobby Kennedy

I want to start with the guys who fans got to see for the first time Sunday. Obviously they have a lot to learn, but what have Michael Wilson and Simi Fehoko shown you in camp so far?

"No. 1 is they both learn very well. They're both very bright. That's exciting because they pick up the playbook rather well.

"Michael Wilson has shown that, No. 1, he catches the ball really well. He probably has better top-end speed than I expected. He can really run. But also his willingness to block and get dirty in there has also been a strong attribute for him. He has shown a lot. He is a guy who gives 100 percent every day and he's busting his butt in special teams drills. He is picking things up well and I'm very encouraged by him.

"Simi is very similar. He has more length and has the ability to go up and get the ball. He runs really well. So, that excites me that both young guys run really well. They're both natural ball catchers, which is good. They don't fight the ball. What has really impressed me with Simi is his feet and how quick he is out of his breaks. I'm really encouraged with both of those guys."

JJ Arcega-Whiteside already has a reputation for making difficult catches. He did that and broke away for a touchdown Sunday. What is the development for JJ this camp?
"You hit the nail on the head (with) his ability to make those catches but then also make the 25-yard catch a 45-yard touchdown. He has worked really hard on his speed. He also has worked on getting in and out of his breaks and his transition. I think what he wants to do is take it to the next level. He was a very consistent deep ball catcher last year. Now we're looking for him after he catches the ball to be more productive taking it to the house."

That's similar to what I've talked about with Trent (Irwin). He said he knows people only consider him a possession receiver and he wants to be more than that. What does that work look like to improve that?
"Trent is more than a possession receiver. I haven't tried to convince him of that. The thing to talk to him about is that when we catch the ball we're getting vertical -- not too many moves. Use your flat-out speed because he can run. We want him to go rather than juke and shake."

What is the next step for Wedington and how much more confident is he after a full offseason at receiver?
"He is very confident and, very similar to Trent, when he gets it he needs to go rather than think, 'I'm going to make this guy miss, this guy miss.' We want him getting up the field and getting positive yards. He's a strong guy. He has put on a bunch of muscle. He can take shots and bounce off them. What we're looking for him to do is once again turn those 15-yard catches into 45-, 50-, 60-yard plays. That's what he has to get more consistent on.

"The other thing when he was transitioning from running back to wide receiver there were times in the spring we'd watch him and he's oozing off the ball rather than using his speed all the time. When he learns how to use his speed going straight ahead he's going to be really dangerous."

Osiris St. Brown had bad luck with injuries his redshirt season. How does he look with extended time healthy?
"I'm really excited about him. With Osiris we're taking it day by day, but you can see the natural talent and his explosion, also. He gives us a different type of weapon on the field that will excite people."

Connor Wedington

Talk me through the work you guys have been doing, especially about maximizing yards after catch?

"We want to be great. We don't want to be a good unit; we want to be a great unit. We feel we have the guys in our room to be great. The work started the next day after we lost to TCU. We've been working with Coach Turley and with KJ. We're trying improve our YAC and try to be great."

When you look at guys like Trent Irwin and JJ Arcega-Whiteside, what do you take from those guys?
"I remember right when I came in the coaches told me to follow an older guy and told me to look up to Trent and JJ. I started following Trent around with everything he does. He comes out an hour early so I'd be out there with him. He'd do extra work as much as he can and I really look up to that. That's what I'm striving to do, too."

What are the small things about playing receiver that Trent does well that you want to emulate?
"He's great at feeling the whole concept. He sees it all. He sees the whole defense and is able to read the defense and know how to adjust his routes. That's what we need out of all of our receivers."

What has been the focus for you this offseason?
"I've been working on my yards after catch and each week catching hundreds and hundreds of balls to make sure every catch is a catch. On top of that I'm trying to improve the YAC."

Not many people outside the program have been able to see Osiris. What have you seen from your teammate?
"Osiris is going to be great. He's my best friend on the team and roommate. He's going to be great. That's all I can say."

Which DBs have stood out to you who you compete against?
"The DBs are stepping up. Malik Antoine definitely stepped up and I know he's taking a leadership role. Frank Buncom is doing great as always and is a vet in that room. Obi Eboh and Paulson (Adebo) are both doing really well. Every one-on-one they're going to fight for it. That's what we need from our receivers and DBs to compete every day."

What does Alijah Holder bring to a DB-WR battle when he's healthy?
"Alijah is Alijah and I feel that speaks for itself. His playmaking ability -- he's going to come back stronger than ever, I believe."

What stands out to you about Coach Kennedy and what he brings to a practice?
"Coach Kennedy brings a lot of enthusiasm. He really cares. He cares about every person on the team. I'm thankful for that and I'm thankful we have a coach who cares about us as a person and as an athlete."

Have you noticed this offseason how he has helped you?
"I would say definitely two main things for myself and others is coming off the ball -- attacking the DB -- and then in and out of cuts."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News