ADVERTISEMENT

Assessing the 2019 roster

msqueri

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
After crunching a voluminous amount of grading data to get a better sense of our players' performance in 2019, I thought it might be interesting to share some superlatives and observations from the data. What follows are a series of posts highlighting some things I think are interesting. More than anything I'd like to draw out comments/disagreements/evaluations from others.

I'll start off with the offense. 15 players had 20+ snaps in at least half of our games. Among that group, there was a clear top four (in order of their average grades):

1) Davis Mills
2) Drew Dalman (essentially identical to Mills in grade)
3) Cameron Scarlett
4) Foster Sarell

I think most here believe Mills looks like a top ten quarterback nationally next year. Scarlett was a very deserving MVP, though were it not for tie-goes-to-thesenior I would have gone with Dalman. I continue to believe that Little-Dalman-Sarell is a beastly triumvirate almost every team in the nation will envy.

Outside of this top group, Colby Parkinson, Connor Wedington, Simi Fehoko, and Michael Wilson were all bunched together and all graded very well.

Notably, Barrett Miller acquitted himself nicely for a true freshman, playing at a level equivalent to where Devery Hamilton was as a third year player (and much better than Hamilton this year).

The most glaring weak link on the offense was Walter Rouse. Henry Hattis and Tucker Fisk also had a tough go of it from the grades.

Overall, at the moment it appears that Stanford's offense will return three of the top four players and 12 of the top 15 (a metric that doesn't even include Walker Little, Austin Jones, Branson Bragg, Myles Hinton, John Humphreys, etc.). The 2019 team only had one of the top four and six of the top 14 from the previous year. Suffice it to say things look really bright for the 2020 offense. Tight end is really the only part of the offense where I have questions and with all of the receiving weapons it seems obvious that three WRs will play more than two TEs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News