ADVERTISEMENT

A tale of two 4th-down calls

cinephile

Captain
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2016
I don't think I'd seen a coach go for it inside their own 30 in the 3rd quarter. Everyone in the dome (Syracuse defenders and TV commentators included) surely thought it would be little more than an offsides-draw attempt. I liked it for a few reasons. The odds are clearly in Stanford's favor to get a yard in two tries, especially against Syracuse. I thought it was smart not to substitute anybody after the 3rd-down play; kept Stanford in control of the clock and Syracuse on their heels a bit. Obviously risky, but I think coach also had Stanford's defense on his side. I liked this decision much more than Taylor's desperate and dumb 4th-and-10 call against TCU.

A day later, Cal was in a 4th-and-3 situation on FSU's 40, I think it was. It was late in the game, but I can't remember exactly if it was the 4th quarter yet and how much time was left. Wilcox seemed uncertain after 3rd down and called for a substitution, allowing FSU to sub in their own guys, who took their sweet time. Cal's offense panicked and a TO was called. Cal punted out of the TO, ball went into the end zone, and FSU had it on their own 20. Ouch. Who other than Shaw doesn't go for that there and then? Though 3rd and 3 is different than 3rd and 1, I'd still want my coach to put one group in for potentially both downs.

Thoughts/reactions?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.