ADVERTISEMENT

A case for joining the Big 12

ballscreen878

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 4, 2021
First, in writing this post, I'm assuming that the Big 10 is out of reach for the foreseeable future. If the ACC takes us, sure, go for it. But, the Big 12 would be more than fine by me. Yes, I understand that the mediocrity of those schools don't fit in with Stanford's "brand." But, to that I say, "who cares?" We're talking about a sports conference, so I don't get the big deal.

As for how competitive the conference would be: clearly it would be very competitive for Stanford in football and men's basketball, even without Oklahoma and Texas. If we need to have some of our other programs - e.g. Olympic sports - join the WCC or whatever other conference, than so be it.

The bottom line is that I don't see Stanford having the commitment - financially or in terms of intestinal fortitude - to make it as an independent. Sure, the money COULD be there, but will Stanford do what it has to do to either allocate non-athletic funds to the AD or chase after big donors? I'm skeptical they can/want to pull it off.

For Stanford to get the money they'll need to be competitive in all sports - and also have the athletic brand to attract big-name recruits (at least in football and men's basketball, the two sports that stir the proverbial drink) - they need to be in a major conference. And, unless the Big 10 or ACC changes its collective minds in a hurry, Stanford would be stupid not to try to work things out with the Big 12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News